Allergic to Amoxicillin

Mike and I took Ashtyn to Urgent Care last Thursday because he was very sick. Fever of 103, not eating, not drinking, just laid there staring into space. So, the doc looked in his throat and said it was filled with pus. So, he told us he could culture his throat for strep and treat anyway, or just treat without doing the culture. Mike and I told him to do what he needed to do, and he decided to just treat him with Amoxicillin. So, we start the meds on Thursday night and Friday he was no better. On sat, he finally started to come around. He still wanted held the whole time but his fever was down and he appeared to be getting better. We drove from Columbus to Michigan for Easter at my families house. Well, Ashtyn was a BEAR! He was so mean, screaming, throwing a fit. Hardly anything calmed him down and it was horrible. Around 4pm, his face broke out in a rash. It was not an immediate cause for alarm because when Ashtyn gets upset, his face gets blotchy. We headed home to Columbus. When we got home around 11:30, Ashtyn was covered in a rash from his head to his hips. He was covered in red spots. So, we took him to the ER at the Children's Hospital. The doctor took one look at him and said he is reacting to the Amoxicillin. She said that she had to culture for strep, and told us no doctor should ever treat strep without confirming it with a culture. So, she did a culture and it came back neg for strep. However, she said that is not totally accurate because he was on amoxicillin so it might be neg even if he did have strep. She looked at his throat and said it was still filled with pus and put him on Azithromycin to treat the strep. So, around 2 am, we headed home, having learned that my little man is allergic to Amoxicillin. He has taken it before so we didn't think it was a reaction, but now I am very glad that we took him to the hospital instead of waiting it out!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
AJ had a similar throat infection. They did the strep test in the office (took two minutes to find out it was negative).  since it was negative the doc said it was viral.  We had to give him a lot of fluids and tylenol for about a week before he was close to normal again.  Hope Ashtyn feels better soon, poor little guy!
Helpful - 0
Not a chance Jessica. I didn't get him to bed until after 11 tonight!!! He has been taking frequent naps so he is not wanting to go to bed very early (he goes to bed at 8 normally)!!!
Helpful - 0
How's he feelig today?? If he's lethargic and sleepy...I'll trade you for a wound up crazy boy! lol
Helpful - 0
CYW
yea the centre requires children to be immunized:S what happened was a child's older sister ended up with measles...the mom pulled out the child as soon as the sister broke out..she was out for about 2 weeks to be safe.. came back..sister does not come to daycare being that she is too old..i think she is like 7 or so...and well long and behold the lil girl now has it and a few in the toddler room(i'm in the preschool room) and we had a staff get scarlett fever.. what happened was one of the older siblings of a child in the baby room ended up having strept so the mom let the centre know and they put a big warning about it in the baby room...of course cams in the baby room.. they too had pulled out the child for a lil..he however did not get anything...but still.. this was about 5 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago well not this past thurs but the thurs before our called in sick because she was covered in a rash..fever etc etc..so she was away for some time...

and pink eye went around in the baby room as well...5 kids out of the 9 ended up getting it and last week had 2 in the preschool room with it...the joy of daycares:S
Helpful - 0
measles going around?!
does your center require children to be immunized? wow!
Helpful - 0
Noah is also allergic to amoxicllin we found out after a trip to the ER, he had a temp of 104 and he also had an ear infection. The amoxiciliin made him break out in a bad rash and he was throwing up in his sleep, it was really scary.
I hope your little guy feels better soon!
Helpful - 0
CYW
at daycare we have strept and scarlet fever and measles and some type of flu going around...but that is a scary thing poor lil guy..i guess its better to find out now.. my ex is allergic to penecillin and he had always had it before until in 3rd grade on the 7th day on his meds(the last day) the teacher sent him to the office his eyes were soooo puffy and he was red all over...they found out hes allergic to sulfa and penecillin.. so far nothing with cameron...knock on wood...
Helpful - 0
My 3 children and I are all  allergic to Amoxicillin. Good thing you took him in! Hope he feels better soon!! Poor baby!
Helpful - 0
Lots of young children react with a rash to Amoxicillin.  It may or may not mean he's going to be allergic to penicillins as an adult.  

Its probably safest just to avoid penicillins in the future.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.