Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Anyone had a pregnancy on Metoprolol?

Im new here but I'm looking for some advice.  My husband and I have three beautiful daughters and are thinking of trying for a fourth and final baby.But do to some blood pressure issues after my last pregancy my doc. says no pregancy with out taking meds for my BP.  I'm a little nervous to try to concieve because of this. Have any other women here been on any blood pressure meds or had a similar problem and had a healthy pregnancy?
1 Responses
Talk with your OB/GYN about TTC while on this medication.  Metoprolol is a Category C drug while used in the first trimester...if it is used during the 2nd and 3rd trimester it is a Category D.  Im not trying to scare you but there are more BP meds out there that you could use.  Since you take metoprolol Im guessing you need a beta-blocker drug instead of a diuretic, calcium channel blockers, alpha blockers, direct vasodilators, angiotensin II receptor blockers, or Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors.  
Other drugs that are considered beta-blockers are:
acebutolol
atenolol
coreg
nadolol
propranolol
timolol
They all looked like Category B or D drugs that turned into Category D in 2nd or 3rd trimester. (safefetus.com)
You need to discuss this with your Dr before you become pregnant, but Im sure BP meds during pregnancy outweighs the possibilities what stopping them will do to your body.
Heres some articles:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/PR00125

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/information/pregnancy.htm
Hope this helps and gives you some info on the issue.  But if your Drs think its fine to contiune with the meds then Im sure its ok. Or ask your pharmacist what he/she thinks.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.