Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Anyone have a baby allergic to Milk?

DD is 8 months old and I gave her some cottage cheese and she broke out in hives. I gave her benadryl and she was fine. A week later I bought her some yobaby plain yogurt and gave her some yesterday and a few minutes she broke out in hives again. I believe it is the milk causing the hives. I will not give her anymore cheese or yogurt but should I stay away from milk in my diet? She has never had a reaction to my breastmilk and I eat cheese and drink milk all the time. Thanks
The lactose in your breastmilk is much different even broken down in your system from what you consume.  

I never gave my DD cow milk until 18 mos....won't with DS either.
arent you supposed to avoid dairy until a year or is it just milk in general?  no she wont have a reaction to your breastmilk, that is not the same as foods with cows milk.  id avoid it in her diet, but yours should be fine.  giving it to them too early can cause allergies too.
That is direct cow milk....I should specify...sorry.

I always used soy based yogurt and cheese, etc prior to 18 mos.
Sorry that your baby broke into hives.  I heard you're not supposed to give babies under a year any kind of dairy.  Check with your pediatrician.
My ped.told me she could have cottage cheese and yogurt, I know whole milk is a no-no but my ped told me the milk in cottage cheese and yougurt is processed different. anyway I will not give her any type of milk product until she is older just to be safe now that she has had reaction to it. Thanks for the advice/comments
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipYogurt.htm
Here is a link about yogurt and cheeses for baby if anyone is interested.
My ped said no dairy at all till the first year, but my boys reacted to milk based formula and even didn't do well when I ate dairy while breast feeding.  I had to cut alot out of my diet with Cars, and Cam was worse so we went to Nutramigen.  If baby reacted to the dairy, wait longer than a week, give it a month or even a couple.  Maybe yogurt etc. is processes different, but your baby may still have a dairy allergy, and even your Dr. wouldn't know till you try it.  I would mention it to the nurse or Dr. if you haven't already and try the soy.  Cam is 1 and still cannot handle milk, some dairy though.  He drinks soy milk.
ive also been told that at 8 mos old baby could have cheese etc cottage cheese etc etc but i think i will wait around the 1 yr mark because i was introduced to milk too early and i am alergic to it.. i get ear infections, throat infections, migrains and runny nose...its unfortunate but MAYBE she is allergic to something in HOW the cottage cheese and yogourt is processed? you will know more when you introduce whole milk
It's very possible that she's allergic to it but wait until she's 1 to introduce it to her again.  I put it off until DD was 14 months b/c I was scared of how she'd react to milk.  Good luck.