Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Anyone have kidney stones while being pregnant?

Hey everyone, I haven't been here for a while I went away for Christmas. Just want to let all of you TTC there is hope! After a MC in May we TTC for 5 months and finally I got my BFP!!! Although I was very worried. I think I just stopped checking the toliet paper! Anyway I am now 14 wks and ultrasound and heartbeat were good! Well I am posting because a wk ago I had some discomfort on my side near my back, so my Doctor sent me for a US of my kidney. Sure enough there are some stones and the tube that comes from the kidney is a bit dialated. Well today my Doctor called and is going to send me to a urologist. Mainly because I am early in pregnancy and she justs wants the specialist to monitor it. I guess the stones can grow? I have this pain in my kidney that comes and goes, but it is fusterating because I don't know what the heck to make of it all. I know my husband had stones and they were very painful. Anyone familar with this or have any advice or comments I will be glad to hear them. Thank you
I had kidney stones with my first dd...thank your doc you have been diagmosed already!! i was in agony for months before they found mine.. because I wasnt.. i developed phlenephritis.. when that finally was gone.. i was soo grateful.. I passed one stone while i was pregnant.. and another when she was a  baby..  all i can remember is sitting on this huge stack of towels and peeing into them. ( i was soo tired of going to the bathroom..lol) ..

finally . i passed the first into a strainer...lol.. yes.. it hurt.. but.. its something you will get through.. congrats on your baby!!
Thank you so much. My Doctor did mention phlenephritis and lucky enough it isn't that bad. So I guess I will get through it. It just seems so painful,but I guess if we can have children than I guess I can handle the pain of passing them. Hopefully they won't have to put a stent. Thanks again
I had kidney stones twice when I was pregnant with my first. I guess the first episode I was about 16 weeks. I  was thinking the pain was 'labor'. I went to the er and they checked me and said no that I wasn't having a m/c and did I think the pain was really coming from my lower back and not from the front...once I really thought about it I realized that the pain was coming from my back.  Because I was over the 3 month 'mark' in my preg. they allowed me to be admitted to the maternity ward so they could help me with the pain as I was waiting to pass the stones....yes stones! it was pretty bad pain and I too had to pee through a strainer.  3 days after being admitted the stones were passed and I was allowed to go home.  Then I had another bought 4 days after the birth of my daughter. That time I knew exactly what the pain was.
Bless your doc. for finding them now.I hope that you are feeling fine soon.
I just had 2 kidney stones last week and I am 26 weeks. Luckily, I passed them.  I have had them before but it has been 6-7 years since the last episode. Good luck to you, I know how painful it can be. :)
Thanks again for all your comments. How bad does it hurt when you pass them? I have 3 of them and they are 3 and 4 mm in size. What I am not sure is how long does it take for those darn things to pass and how do you know they are all gone? Does the pain go away right after? I had the us Friday and I haven't had any real bad pain. Is it going to all of a sudden hit me? I am soo nervous. I finally get my BFP and get through a good us and bam I have kidney stones! Thank you so much for your time -You gals are great!
well let me start by saying you poor poor thing. I had stones when I was pregnant with my third and it was horrible. Mine were too big to pass so I had to live with them untill after I delivered when about 3 weeks after the performed surgery to remove them. I was in and out of the hospital through the whole pregnancy with the stone pain and there was nothing they would do for me but monitor the baby. I was to the point that I was peeing pure blood. Good luck to you
It took me a week to.pass my stones i.was 24 weeks it hurt so very very bad. I did pass them naturally no stint thank god for that. It hurt where.my ribs and my.back where. My lower abs as well. Word of the wise no soda thats what did me. I suggest gatorade and water. I did some research.and lemon will help break them up. Make some fresh lemonade and drink lots of water stay away.from too much meat k