Are you kidding? Jayden has a cold sore!

So Jayden has been getting all his second molars in.  He has his last bottom one coming out and so he's had this nasty stuffed, runny nose issue.  At night he always sounds so stuffed up and congested.  My mom tells me this morning that she thinks he's getting a cold sore.  First off, isn't it now considered Herpes Simplex I?  If so, where did he get it from, is it genetic?  I got one when I was 6 years old, really bad one and ever since then I had no other cold sores.  Secondly, how do I handle this?  Do I use herpecin on it or do I just leave it alone?  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Cold sores are contracted by saliva. He could have picked it up from any one even you. The bacteria is still in your system. He could have picked it up easily from other kids.

This is what I found on catching it.

The herpes simplex virus is contagious and can be spread by saliva. The most contagious time is when the blisters are fresh – kissing others or sharing toothbrushes, drinking glasses or cutlery should be avoided during this period. In particular, the infected person should be kept away from newborn babies, children with burns or eczema, and people with suppressed immune systems. However, it is possible for an infected person to pass the virus onto someone else without presenting any obvious symptoms. This is because the virus may be lying dormant in the skin cells of the lips. A person newly infected with the herpes simplex virus typically develops a mouth infection. The virus then inhabits the nervous system, and may or may not produce cold sores, depending on the individual’s immune system. A person prone to cold sores should avoid kissing newborn babies.

I am not sure of treatment for someone his age but he does need something. If you think it is a cold sore take him to the doctor. Good Luck
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the information.  When I got home last night he didn't have anything on his lip.  Maybe it was a hive from the dog or maybe he bumped his lip.  But thanks.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.