Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Asherman's Syndrome and Pregnancy- HELP!

I've been diagnosed with Asherman's Syndrome (intrauterine scar tissue) and I am 20 weeks pregnant! Apparently, this is a rare problem that can cause placenta previa, placenta cretia, and stillbirth. I'm supposed to see a specialist soon, but I don't have any answers yet! The doctor said if my uterus stops growing they may have to take the baby out early... Does anyone know anything about Asherman's Syndrome or how early a baby can be taken out (and what chances they have to live?)! Please help answer my questions if you can!!! I'm scared and alone!
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  Go to Ashermans.org.
The information there will be very helpful to you.  There is a yahoo group link on the web-site.  There is some wonderful people there who can help you.  I am a part of this group and have done extensive research on the subject.  Let me know what area you are in and I will give you a name of a doctor who is a specialist in Ashermans.  It takes some time to be a member of the ashermans board.  You have to go through a questionaire and screening process.  Maybe if you tell the moderator the important of your situation, maybe you will be able to get in sooner.  If you become a part of the board, there is also a physicians board that you can request the moderator that you would like to become a part of that board.  Top asherman specialist answer the questions of the ladies.  I have personally gone to one of the doctors who is a part of the board.  He was so helpful in helping me.  He is in California and used to teach at USC.  He is a doctor at a clininc called California Fetility Partners.  His name is Dr. March.  Woman come from all over the U.S. to see this doctor.

I know that you are probably pressed for time, so let me know and I will help you in the mean time.  If this posting gets lost somehow, you can e-mail me at lvn_mom***@****.  How do you think you got ashermans?  Was it from a previous D&C or surgery?  How many weeks were you if it was from a previous pregnancy?  How did your doctor determine that you had ashermans?  Did he do a hysteroscopy prior to pregnancy?  Was this determined by ultrasound?  These questions will help to diagnose the severity of your condition.  I wish you well.  I will help you in any way that I can.
P.S.  I am going to post your question at the board and see what response I get.  I wish you well!
For some reason someone deleted my previous post.  I have research this subject extensively and will help in any way that I can.  I need to know these questions to help you more.  How were you diagnosed with ashermans in pregnancy?  Was this by ultrasound?  Did you have a hysteroscopy prior to pregnancy?  What kind of periods did you have prior to being pregnant?  Were they light or heavy?  If you let me know what area you live in, I can direct you to a physician who is a specialist in this area.  I wish you well.  There is hope in this situation.
I was 4 weeks pregnant and didnt know I had Chlamydia, which caused the miscarriage AND the scar tissue. I actually went to the ER about a week ago with severe abdominal pain. They did a sonogram after ruling out everything else, and because of the amniotic fluid were able to see a pillar of scar tissue... That's how they found it.
The chlymdia was in a previous pregnancy?  What about your periods prior to this pregnancy?  Were they light?  Did you have pain?  Many times with severe ashermans there is a light period with hardly any flow or a severe period, but not always.  I have been told the ultrasound is not the best way to truly tell that there is scar tissue even though it can be done.  Keep me posted.  I will let you know any new info I get.
Well, after the miscarriage I stopped having periods because I immediately got on the Depo Provera shot. Once I got off the shot i had a period every 2 weeks... then all of a sudden I didnt have a period for 6 weeks, and when I finally had one it was short and a lot lighter than normal... then after that one i didnt have a period for another 6 weeks, and then found out I was pregnant. Well, normally you cant see scar tissue with a sonogram, but because I'm pregnant the amniotic fluid makes it possible to see. All they could really see though was a "pillar" of tissue connecting to the top and bottom of my uterus. I have to go see a high-risk specialist and the KU Med Center to have a high-tech sonogram done. They said the baby, umbillical cord, and placenta are ok right now, but they could be affected later. They told me that in the ER when I went in for severe abdominal pain (where they found the scar tissue.) The thing with scar tissue is that it often blocks the cervix, which is why its really rare to get pregnant with it, but I dont have any scar tissue blocking my cervix. Does that help explain it?
Oh- yeah, it was a previous pregnancy... and I normally have really painful periods, but that might be because I probably have endometriosis... it's hereditary in my family... my grandmother had it, her mom had it... my mom has it, and her 3 sisters, and a couple of my cousins... they all ended up having full hysterectomies... Most of them were able to have a couple kids beforehand though...
Another reply from the Ashermans support group:

Can you ask this person to join our group so she can get support from us?

Not sure what she means by her uterus not growing because of ashermans but I expect it means that there is too much scarring in there which won't allow the uterus to expand??  Really not sure.  

The earliest the baby can be taken out is at 23 weeks but the longer the better.  the longer they stay in the uterus, the more chance they have of surviving without complications.

Really, do tell her to join us. There are lots of pregnant members here who will be able to give her some advise and I'm sure she will feel a lot better once she is amongst the "rest of us".

I posted for you at the ashermans group and this is the reply I got.  They said that you really should join the group so that they can help you more.  Since you have had endometriosis, I would suggest looking into progesterone therapy after your pregnancy.  Have you ever heard of the book "What your doctor may not tell you about Pre-Menopause" by Dr. Lee.  This doctor uses progesterone therapy to help prevent fibroids and endometriosis.  It is worth researching into.  I hope all goes well with your pregnancy.  The fact that your cervix wasn't blocked is good.  Also, sometime ER doctors are not all specialized as regular doctors.  I wish you well.  Let me know how it goes.

Dear lvn_mom,

That lady who is 20 weeks pregnant and just found out
she has Asherman's Syndrome should see a
perinatologist, sometimes called a Maternal Fetal
Medicine specialist. Preferably she should try to find
one who has experience with patients in her situation.
Where does she live? Is she near a major university
medical school? That would probably be her best choice
for medical care in this situation, because this is a
high-risk pregnancy.

Some women who get pregnant with adhesions still in
their uterus are able to have healthy full-term babies
anyway, but others do deliver prematurely and/or have
placenta-related problems, so it's important for her
to go to the best specialist she can find.

Does she want to join our group? She can join by going
to
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ashermans/

I have moderate ashermans syndrome and have 8 operations in 3 yrs to remove scar tissue and have just found out im 9 weeks pregnant my consultant dont seem to concerned and has not spoke to me about ashermans and pregnancy complications i feel like im not in control as i dont know what to expect can any one help please.
victoria
I was diagnosed with ashermans after not having a menstral cycle after  a C-section in 2003.   At first my doctor stated that I did not have a period due to breast feeding my baby for a year then he sent  me for a blood test and found out I was pregnant again.  I went through several Ultrasounds.  There was a sac but no baby in it.  He stated he would have to do a D & C so I went to another doctor for second opinion.  After an D & C, HSG, blood work, my second doctor determined that it was Asherman Syndrome.  I also want to have another baby and I fear that I will not be able to because I just turned 42 years old.  I am now starting to get a little bit of brownish discharge.  does this mean that I am starting to go through menopause?  I have no other symptoms of menopause just a brownish discharge.
i diagnoise with aserman. i m living in chicago area.i need specialist. pleace help me lovinmom. i realy need help.
I also have Asherman's and i am having a brown discharge.Do you know what the discharge is?
Hello

I am looking for any helpful advice and information you can give me. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 30 months now. We found out we were pregnant the end of Nov 2009, we were over the moon with happiness! However it was an emotional roller costar. When we had our first ultra sound there was only a sac and they believed we were far enough along that there should have been a heart beat. We waited a week and had another one and there was a heart beat. We were so excited to see it!!! A week later we went and the heart beat was low and there was not much growth. They told us we would loss the baby. We went home to wait to loss the baby and it was awful. Another week passed and we did not loss the baby. We went for another ultra sound and there was still a heart beat, but the baby had not grown enough. We were told to come back in a  week. When we went back there was no heart beat. It was such a terrible and emotional loss. We were told to have a D & C to make sure they get everything and that they would send the fetus away for testing. At the time I was nervous about the D & C and asked if there was any risk that could cause us from not having children in the future. We were told it was safe and our best bet. One month passed and we discovered we were pregnant again. Unfortunately, the exact same loss happened. We should have been almost 3 months pregnant both times, even though when the heart stopped the fetus only measured 6 to 7 weeks. The second D & C was preformed May 20th, 2009. I never felt right after this D & C and did get an infection that was treated. Still for months I did not feel like myself and my periods have been much lighter. I have always had my periods every 28 days and they would last 4/5 days. Sense the last D & C my periods on average are 32 days and in November my period took 37 days. I finally was sent to a fertility clinic in October and have gone through many Vaginal ultra sounds where my lining came back at 4mm, 4mm 5.8mm and this last one was only 2.3 mm, My blood work is good, The HSG showed that my tubes are clear and good, my supply of eggs shows good, but they were not able to complete the hysteroscopy because it was to painful. I met with a surgen right before Christmas and she believes it is Asherman,s due to my thin lining and history. She had me take Estrogen this last cycle and I had my Vaginal ultra sound done on day 19 this cycle which was on Sunday, Jan 16th. This was the one that came back at 2.3, yet last month my lining was 5.8. I am scheduled for a new Surgery on March 14th which they do a ballooning procedure that is to crack away the scar tissue instead of them cutting it out. Before the surgery well I am out they will also perform the Hysteroscopy to see how bad things are. I am hopeful regarding the surgery, but scarred. I do not know why my lining dropped so much in one month and what that means? We want to start a family and I want badly to carry our baby. If you can give me any information on our chances of becoming pregnant after surgery or anything other options we should look into. I want to make sure we prevent any more damage from happening that will lessen our chances. I have been going to accubalance for regular accupuncture and chinese herbs the last 3 months. I was off them the first two weeks of this cycle because of the estrogen treatment and just started back on them. Dr Beth Taylor in Vancouver Canada will be doing my surgery.  I look forward to hearing from you!
Thank You,
CrysC

Hi I'm new to this site and until tonight had never heard of this condition, just wondering if someone could give me some advice I had my first child 13 years ago and had a retained placenta which was manually removed in surgery, 2 years ago I had my second child and my second retained placenta the second time it was also manually removed but took over 2 hours as the surgeon said it was stuck to previous scar tissue, 5 weeks ago I found I was pregnant again but went to my epu after light bleeding after numerous tests and scans the doctors are saying that my pregnancy is non viable and want me to have a d and c which so far I've refused
Hi there, found your post on here. I am a member of the Yahoo Asherman's group and have been doing some research after my recent diagnosis. I live in Vancouver and have also been referred to Dr. Beth Taylor, appt scheduled May 14th. I was wondering how things are going for you? How did your surgery go?

There seems to be a lot of encouragement to go to LA to see Dr. March but I wonder what your experience has been with Dr. Taylor?

Any info you could share would be so appreciated.

Cheers,
Linda
I am 36 yrs old and was just diagnosed with ashermans in april 2012 dr did a laporascopic exam said my tubes are open buy she couldn't get the hysteroscope in my cervix(which is tilted back) because if scarring after a dnc in october 2011. At first I had scanty or no periods but since may I have had normal periods like clock work.so I don't see how my cervix could be blocked with a normal period.it is now september and still no pregnancy though, waiting several months now for my RE appt on october 1, I think I'm pregnant every month and I'm driving myself nuts.advice??