Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Ava is CONTINUALLY Sneezing, coughing, and has watery eyes

Does anyone else have or had an infant who suffered with allergies.  I wish my little girl could get a little relief.  Anyone has any suggestions for me?
BH - are you sure she's suffering from allergies and not an infection?  I thought infants didn't have immune systems developed enough to have seasonal allergies -
izzy sneezed a lot for about the first 4 months.  my sisters daughter did the same.  she doesn't do it anymore now at 6 months so I am guessing it is just a newborn thing.
I'm assuming that it is allergies until I can take her in to the pedi.  They told me 2 weeks ago to begin saline drops to releive her stuffiness, and I have been doing that 2 times a day.  Now she's not stuffy anymore, her nose is running with clear mucous, it is not green or yellow... she is sneezing alot, especially since our dog has begun to shed, and her right eye is red.  She was not this bad on Friday, now all of a sudden (of course ALWAYS on days the Pedi's office is closed) it has gotten worse.  She seems to be OK other than the sneezing, watery red eye, and the coughing.  She smiles, she does her little cooing and blows her little bubbles with her mouth, she talks to her mobile, and she is drinking, peeing and pooping fine.. she has not ran a fever at all.  That's why I assumed it was an allergy... atleast that is what my mom has been telling me as well.

When she sleeps she sleeps soundly... her nose is snotty sounding when she is awake and active, but when she sleeps you can't tell it's runny.  I don't know!  I was told by my Pedi that babies her age do not get strep throat, or other major illnesses.  I feel like a bad mommy for not taking her on Friday, but I figured that they would tell me the same thing as they did 2 weeks ago..
What type of infection could it be?  Sinus?
I don't really know what kind of an infection - maybe some kind of cold that hangs on and hangs on?  

My family has lots of allergies,  so we've been through the ringer figuring out - and also,  Austin is known as "the allergy capital of the world."

So I've learned that Allergic reactions are the body mistaking a harmless substance for an invasive one - so an allergy is an attack on the person's own body by their immune system.  I've always heard that babies can't have allergies this early,  because of their underdeveloped immune systems.
Here's a good article on allergies.  I'm with RR.  I'm not so sure that's what it is.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bhealth/0,,3q6j,00.html
Dylan has allergies like I do. I didn't think young infants could develop them either, but at his 6-month appointment that's what the ped told us. I thought he had a cold that he just couldn't shake. She gave us the green light to give him the lowest dose of Children's Zyrtec as needed. But, I think he may be one of the "exceptions" mentioned in the article because of my allergies and mild asthma.

RR, I thought the east Texas pineywoods was the allergen capitol of the world? I can actually breathe when I go to Austin.
my dd's father has horrible allergies and so far she has been diagnosed with Eczema and Ashtma which allergies go with.  I was told by the allergist at CHOP that there is nothing they can do until she is 2 years old to determine if she has allergies.  Allergies do not show up in kids until the age of 2?  I know that does not help but I wanted to let you know to lean more toward a little cold.  

My dd sneezed A LOT when she was an infant.  Even before we left the hospital after she was born but she did not cough or have the watery eyes which sound very much like allergies.  

Good Luck!
Jacob often has lines (or dark circles) under his eyes.. the pedi said that was a sign of allergies.. she told me to give him nasalcrom (over the counter) twice a day, but I haven't been doing it..
Yeah, that article did say it was possible for an infant to have allergies, just not likely.  If the family has a history of severe allergies, its more likely I suppose.
Hmmm, that`s a tough one. I too understood that infants, especially when breastfed, are immune against allergies for years to come. But my son had some eczema on his pinky toe during his first month which only went away after I stopped washing his socks in a certain laundry detergent.
Breathing perfectly while asleep and then waking up sneezing sounds like allergies to me despite statistics. I remember my days with hayfever as such...It is almost as if the substance that irritates accumulates during one day and then drives the immune system over the edge by the next day.
About 6 months ago my six-year-old started sneezing about 20 times each morning. He spent half of his days with a babysitter with a house full of cats back then. After he stopped going there, the morning-sneeze-session at our house was gone but he is now allergic to cats in general. Even if your little girl has no allergies, I would try to keep your dog`s area somewhat separate from her sleeping area in case you currently don`t.
it can be normal for newborns to sneeze and seem like they have allergies, im not saying it is or isnt but addison sneezed for months.  she would sound like she had a cold while awake but the drs assured me it was just newborn stuffies.  use your saline for the nose.  as for watery eyes i dont have a clue i never noticed that with either of my kids.  i too had drs tell me that newborns dont get allergies but who knows!!
She woke up alot last nigh wanting her paci. I'm wondering if her teeth maybe causing her runny nose?  I am grasping at every little idea I can to try to figure this out.  She coughed soo hard last night a couple of times, and once to the point she gagging.  

I am taking her into the pedi's office today, I hate taking her there, but it must be done.  I am terrified of her getting some kind of respiratory infection... it's a scarey time right now, and I am terrified of EVERYTHING that changes with her.

My mom says that babies are tough, and I have to agree with her.  My cousin had two little girls that were sick ALL THE TIME, and they managed to survive with a neglectful mommy and an abusive daddy.  I would give the world to my Ava, and I feel like a failure sometimes allowing her to get this way.  She slept alot yesterday, but was up some of the night.  At 4:00 this morning she was awake and talking to me... I knew she wanted to get up because she kept throwing her little arms and legs around if her paci fell out of her mouth (I had her in bed with me after the second time she coughed and choked).  She is still asleep right now and it's 8:30AM.

Peekawho -
Thanks for the article, I will read it as soon as I have my 4th cup of java.  :)  
How can I tell if my baby has allergies or just a cold?

Because the symptoms of nasal allergies (also known as allergic rhinitis) are much like cold symptoms — runny nose, watery eyes, cough, nasal congestion, sneezing — it can be tough to tell the difference. There are some telltale signs of allergies, though. Ask yourself the following questions:
•  Does it seem like your baby always has a cold? (Colds usually wind themselves down in a week to ten days; allergies don't.)

•  Is your baby's nose always stuffy or running?

•  Is she constantly wiggling, wiping, or pushing her nose up in what doctors call the allergic salute?

•  Is the mucus that drains from her nose clear and thin (as opposed to yellow or greenish and thick)?

•  Does she seem to sneeze a lot?

•  Are her eyes itchy, red, and watery?

•  Does the skin under her eyes look dark or purple or blue (doctors call these allergic shiners)?

•  Does she breathe through her mouth?

•  Does she have a dry cough?

•  Is her skin irritated or broken out in an itchy red rash?

If you answered "yes" to one or more of these questions, there's a good chance your baby is allergic to something in her environment. Kids with nasal allergies are also more prone to ear infections, asthma, and sinus infections.

I'm wondering if the "insignificant" rash on her face was actually an allergic reaction to something.  I don't know, but I'll find out today and let you all know.  :)
What does Eczema look like?  Ava's face was broken out with red bumps, it was on her face, and on her head, and a couple spots on her arms but those were not clustered.  Now her face is dry, and sometimes the little bumps resurface, but not all of them look like a pimple... my pedi called it and "insignificant" rash that babies sometimes get.  Does this sound like eczema?
Don't know how well you can see it, but go to my photos and check out the pics of Lauren...the one of JUST her face with the interesting look.... you can sort of see the eczema on her face, it was mostly dry and scaly at picture time.  Then the pic with her and the balloon, you can see the eczema on her arm especially at her wrist.  Her eczema was described as "bad" but not the worst the doc had ever seen.  It seems REALLY bad to me, though.  She gets it mostly in the bends of her elbows and knees, wrists and ankles.  It's starting to localize now on her knees and shoulders, too.

What you describe *might* be eczema, could just be that pedi rash babies sometimes get.  And if she is having potential allergy trouble, it could be related to the allergies.

We use Eucerin cream now as a moisterizer, but we mix it with Triamcinolone... something..never can remember that name.  I would recommend just trying to keep her skin moist with a good baby lotion and see if that helps.  If it doesn't go away after a few more months, then you might have a case of eczema.  If you do, I AM SO SORRY.  :(

what you described sounds like eczema - do you or Ava's dad have allergies, eczema and or Asthma?  It is very genetic.  Eczema and Asthma can be diagnosed now but Allergies will not be by a doctor until she is 2 they will just tell you to use saline drops for her nose and a vaporizer.  It stinks trust me I know.

If you hear wheezing in her chest - put your hand over her liltle chest you can feel if it is there.  If you do take her right away to a doctor, er or get a referral for a pulminary doctor especially if you or her dad have Asthma.  This is easily diagnosed, easily treated and my dd is already outgrowing it.  If you hear or feel wheezing it means that your dd feels like she is breathing threw a straw.  The doctor told me that and I cried.

Now for the eczema or rash - I tried tons of things even prescriptions and another mom told me about aquaphor.  I had never heard of it but was willing to try anything and guess what.  It - to this day she is 15 months old - WORKS.  The only thing that works for her.  I still use it.

Good Luck -

PS.  Do not wash her face with anything but water and make sure all her clothes and washrags are washing in dreft or a free and clear detergent.
curious to know what the doc says. in the spring, dd did have allergy symptoms- watery eyes in particular. she was 7/8/9 months, and it only seemed to bother her on the same days my allergies bothered me.

dd goes through phases where she has symptoms like you describe, but doesn't act sick at all. always seems to coincide with her teething. and when she has those symptoms, and i give her motrin or tylenol for the pain, the congestion, sneezing, etc... disappear immediately. Since in her case, these symptoms are often caused by the inflamation of teething, tylenol works. (normally tylenol does not act as a decongestant in any way). however, i am careful not to make the assumption that her congestion is due to teething. i only give her the tylenol when it is evident her mouth is bothering her. and i'm not saying this is what's wrong with ava- i'm just throwing this out there.

if it is allergies, you can make sure to change her bedding often, and always use fresh pj's at night. also, be sure to bathe her everynight to remove allergens from hair and skin.
Well she prescibed an antibitotic to take twice a day for 10 days, and also a decongestant to take 4 times a day.  She said that Ava's lungs sounded great, and that this COULD be a sinus irritation that progressed to a sinus infection, OR it COULD be allergies.  If it persists after she goes her rounds with this medicine, then they are going to say that she has allergies.  She gave me compliments about Ava's health.  She has doubled her weight plus some since her birth.  What I thought may have been eczema is just an "insignificant" rash, as the other Pedi in her office suggested.

Welp we will see how this goes.  Of course her Daddy is against the antibiotic treatment, but I don't want to see her suffer, so I'm going to give her the medicine.
Oh, yeah, she said that babies CAN develop allergies at Ava's age, that is one of the main reasons they tell you to wash their clothes in Dreft, or something similar.  :)  Heck I don't know!  I woke up all conjested, and now the roof of my mouth is ITCHING!!
my son has eczema and the derm told him to use cream not lotion on his skin.  one we use that says its safe for all ages is cetaphil. i bought a large container at costco for $10.  however babies do get funny skin bumps and patches.  just dont pick lol.  good job on the weight gain, i will have to see if you posted new pics
Skin reactions to detergents and factory coating on fabrics can often cause irritation and rashes...not truly an allergy, per se.  That's why the Dreft or Ivory Snow, or other mild laundry soap.

Inhalant allergies that cause inhalant allergy symptoms (coughing, sneezing, runny nose, red weepy eyes) are different.  I'm sure it does happen, especially if the child is from a highly allergy prone family.  It just isn't common, and isn't what you'd think of first.

Whatever the cause, I hope she feels better, and I hope you don't get sick!
wow- i am slightly surprised that she was prescribed antibiotics with no fever. also, my peds don't prescribe decongestants frequently for infants either. i'm not questioning the decision- i'm just surprised since my peds try to hold off on meds for as long as possible. once again shows how different they all are...
BH - I agree with Peek - chemical "irritants" aren't the same thing as allergies.  It's like,  chlorine in a pool can irritate your lungs and skin but you aren't allergic to it - it just breaks down your tissues.  It attacks,  your body doesn't attack itself in the presence of chlorine.  Same thing for detergents - they attack the baby's fine skin - the baby doesn't attack itself in the presence of the detergent additives.

This all sounds confusing because it is.  Allergy shots,  that help reduce people's reaction to allergens,  are actually the allergens themselves.  So if you're allergic to something they keep injecting it in small doses until your body wakes up and realizes the allergen isn't an attacker - it's some benign substance your immune system should ignore.

Clear as mud,  sorry.