BH...how many is too many?

For the past 4 or 5 days I have been really aware of my BH. They are a lot stronger now, take my breath away, but not really painful. My entire belly gets really hard and my breathing changes. Sunday night I noticed I had 5 in an hour and but they slowly got further and further apart...thankfully! And I was sitting in the car entire time I had them. Tonight, I have had 3 exactly 10 min. apart from eachother. When should I really worry? With my son, my BH were never quite this intense and definitely VERY sporatic. I'm just a little concerned I had one at 10:18 pm...then again at 10:28 and just again at 10:38. I have been lying down the entire time and drinking water. Is it something I should be concerned about or is it pretty normal for this to happen like this? After the last one, the baby kicked me, so I know he/she is okay, but not sure why I have been getting so many recently. I am 27 weeks. Thanks for any advice.

Oh and here is a list of the BH I have experienced so far tonight.....10:18pm, 10:28, 10:38, 10:10:50, 10:57, 11:07, 11:25, 11:39, 11:48, 12:00am, 12:18, and 12:23....This is the first time I have written the times down and kinda been concerned. But baby moves after I have one...Is this normal? This will be my second child.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank Jezi...I will try to keep well hydrated.

Peek, thank you for that info very helpful. I think my midwife would be more concerned if I had bloody discharge or the BH continued. With my son I went to 38 weeks exactly and went into labor, no problems during that pregnancy. I wonder if the beesting did trigger something? That would be interesting.
Helpful - 0
Sometimes the worry threshold is 4 per hour, other times, depending on the persons past history, they won't worry too much until you exceed 6 an hour.

Here's some info:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Parenting/PREMATURE-LABOR/show/461?cid=71

If you have the risk factors for Preterm labor, your care providers may be more concerned.  

Good point about the beesting.  
Helpful - 0
Well that's good news.  They say every pregnancy is different.  Hang in there and keep hydrated.
Helpful - 0
jenkaye...I wonder if it is true then? Although when I get my BH they usually happen when I don't do much at all. It's strange! But it very well could be the answer...at least I hope!

I just heard from my midwife...I forgot to mention yesterday I somehow stepped on a bee and it stung my foot. My midwife said it could have been from that since there are pressure points on the foot that stimulate contractions. My foot is still pretty sore from that. She just told me to eat well for now and drink plenty of water. If it happens again, she is going to check my cervix to see what's going on. So far so good today. I need to get out of bed and make some breakfast for me and jeremiah....then back to resting. This pregnancy has proven to be much more difficult than my first. But I'm trying to hang in there and stay positive.
Thanks ladies!!!
Helpful - 0
For now, wait to hear from your midwife.  They may need to check you.  Keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
I think you are onto something about them being more intense and felt earlier with a second or subsequent pregnancy.  

I am pregnant with #4, and I notice a lot more BH this time than with any of my others.  I seem to get them most after walking, even a short distance, like from the parking lot to the grocery store.  

I wouldn't be concerned unless they get 5 minutes apart or less, but mention to your doc that you are having a lot of them just in case.  

Helpful - 0
Thank u ladies! I feel sick to my stomach from all the water I drank. I woke up with an awful pain on my right side...like ligament pain.  I just had awful diarrhea (sorry TMI) and now I am drinking tons again because I know I can easily be dehydrated again (if that's what it was) I will also lay on my left side (actually doing that right now) Haven't had any BH since I woke up thankfully. I had the last one at 1:10am so I had a total of 15 since 10pm to that point. I am not going to do much of anything today and hopefully it won't happen again. still waiting to hear from my midwife though.
Helpful - 0
dehydration will give you BH.. i had to be monitored with aubree because i was having soo many of them and they hooked me up to an iv and the bh stopped within an hour.. so drink drink drink
Helpful - 0
You should be drinking lots of water and laying down on your left side as much as possible..

From what i have read.. 4 an hour is too many.. If you can get them to stop by drinking water and relaxing it will probably be okay.. but if you can't get them to stop you need to call your dr and make sure it isn't preterm labor..
Helpful - 0
Thanks! If I had a bathtub, I would jump right in it...lol...but for right now we only have a stand-up shower...house is under major construction right now. ugh!
I've had some back pain and a headache for a little while now...I would just hate to call my midwife at this hour if it's just regular BH and nothing serious. My hubby doesn't seem too concerned...he's out like a light, but here I am at almost 1am still up! Maybe I should just try to go to sleep and forget about it. And yes I will keep drinking water, even if I have to pee all night long. lol I wonder if they just get more intense earlier on with each baby you have? hmmm
Helpful - 0
Have you tried taking a bath to get them to stop? I know it sounds weird but that's what my OB's nurse told me to do and it actually works (most of the time). I have been getting BH like those for a few months so it sounds fairly normal to me but it might not be for everyone.
Since the baby is moving around I would say it is pretty normal and likely not the real thing, my dr told me I really wont feel the baby moving at all when I am in labor.

I hope everything is ok, just keep chugging that water!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.