Women's Health: Postpartum Community

BREAST FEEDING

how many of you breast feed?
Have you fallen asleep ?  Now I am scared to breast feed when I have my baby

I heard this on the news
A woman in WISCONSIN  Had TOO much to drink came home and breast fed her 4 month old girl and passed out on top of her
and killed her!!
I know I wouldnt drink/smoke or do what ever while breastfeeding
but what about just falling asleep
I breastfed my dd for almost a year. During the first 3 I would often bring her into bed and she would nurse while I slept on my side. As long as you're not drinking or on drugs- in which case you should not even think about nursing as you can pass these harmful chemicals onto your baby- you should be ok. If you're worried, then make sure you nurse in a glider or rocker or just sitting up. The benefits of nursing far outweigh the fear of falling asleep as this can be avoided by not nursing in bed.
I would never drink or do drugs
but can  smoking cigarettes filter through to your milk???
Congrats on your pregnancy.   Breastfeeding is really a great thing if you can do it.   There have really been many studies on the benefits.  Yes defintely stay away from drugs and alcohol while pg and breastfeeding.  I was a very light sleeper and my babies just slept in my arms and ANY time I felt them stir I was awake.  I was nervous for a while but we were lucky.  Good Luck and take care.  You should find this forum very helpful.  Take Care.
Thanks for the encouraging words blondie!
I hope I can breast feed I know its the best for your baby and I want to make the best start I can
I do smoke but only occasionally Im concerned about that but I am trying to quit!
I think it can filter through your milk.  It takes quite a while to get it out of your system also.  You should NOT smoke if you are going to breastfeed.  Just keep completely clean.  Isn't your baby worth it???   Again good luck and take care.  You'll know what is right for you and your baby when the time is right.  I take it this is your first???
You smoke occasionally and you are 6 months pregnant?  You should really try to quit immediatly.  Smoking can lead to low birth weight or premie babies.  It is not healthy for you, but more so it is unhealthy for the helpless baby you are carrying.  Think about your baby and quit now.  It is also unhealthy to smoke while breastfeeding.  Anything the mother takes in also goes into the babies system.
you know, thats the first thing i wanted to do after i had my first baby, i wanted to enjoy a few drinks and i wanted to start smoking my regular amount of cigs,i didnt quit smoking completely while i was preggo, but i did cut down to about a pack per day. so for that reason only, i decided i wasnt going to breastfeed. so if you are afraid of falling asleep on your baby, just bottle feed him/her and you dont have to worry about it, and you can enjoy a drink or 2 and your s/o feed the baby.
i am embarrased to say this but i smoked around 1 pack a day while breasfeeding my 2 older sons. i was 16 when gabriel was born, and i was 18 when alex was born. i guess i could say that i was stupid and naive, thankfully, neither one of them showed any signs of nicotine thru the milk, because they were both extremely calm and healthy babies. i have heard many stories about breasfeeding while a smoker and they sound phony. one of them is that you milk will come out grey. NOT SO! with my third son i decided not to breastfeed since i was working full time and it was virtually impossible. he developed RSV at 3 weeks and i blame myself for it as i smoked minimal during pregnancy. he is now 2 1/2 years old and accorrding to his pediatrician he "grew out" of the rsv/asthma. i am now on my 4th (and last) pregnancy and i still smoke moderately. i really HATE myself fpr doing this, but i just cannot quit! i tried soooo hard and due to all the stress in my life i cannot get a grip on my will power. for the record- i do NOT smoke in front of my kids, i smoke outside on my patio and in the car when they are not in there. it is a NASTY habit and i hate myself for ever starting.

sienna
Don't beat yourself up - Yes it is a nasty habit but a lot of ppl do it and you said your kids are fine now.  That is a good thing.  It is never too late to quit if it something you want to do.  There are lots of things to help you.  Good Luck and I hope you can kick the habit some day cuz it sounds like you'd like to.  Good Luck and take Care
Smoking in general around a newborn has been known to increase the risk of SIDS so I would say do your very best to quit before the baby is born and definitely don't smoke in your house and around the baby. So not worth the risks to the baby. Breastfeeding however is know to reduce the risks of childhood cancers and asthma so if you plan on nursing, that's a great choice! Good luck.
Just think of all the extra cute little baby clothes and toys you could buy with all the money you would save if you didn't buy those cigs.  I can't speak from experience, I have never been able to inhale smoke, but I can understand is it an addiction and a hard one to break.  I am going to guess that some nicotein passes into the breast milk, and that can't be a positive thing for a baby, second hand smoke is not good for anyone, and if you quit, your health would surely appreciate it in the long run.  So many things can come about from smoking, emphazema (sp), cancer, broncitis to name a few.  My mom just quit cold turkey one day after smoking for 30 years.  Never bought another one.  Maybe one day you can do the same thing.  Best to you...
When I mentioned smoke in my above question I meant drugs
but like I said I do smoke cigarettes
NOT alot  maybe 5/6 per day I guess I dont think thats alot
Yes its hard to quit and I really dont even know why I smoke
BOREDOM I guess
That's why I used to do crack but not anymore.
I have a question. How long does crack have to be out of your sytmem before its ok to have a baby?
was that comment from CHOWDER.HEAD a cruel joke? i sure hope so. but, if it is real, i am assuming 'CRACK" is cocane, i do not know about those hard drugs, but please make sure that you go thru some MAJOR rehab before you, or the person that you are referring to decides to conceive a child.
I tried breastfeeding and it didn't work out but I wanted to give my babies breatmilk.  We bought a Medea breast pump the hospital kind.  It was very expensive $280.00 but we saved more than that in formula and in Dr bills.  My 2 girls were very healthy babies unlike my first son who didn't breastfeed.  He was sick just about the entire first two years of his life.  Then with my son that was born 9-22 of this yeat 8 weeks early I was able to pump and take the milk to the NICU and will be able to provide breatmilk for him.  Hopefully this will give him an extra barrier against RSV.  The only thing with only pumping is that you tend to dry up faster.
my kids were bottle fed and neither one of them have had anything other than a sniffle. so i think the whole breastfed babies are healthier think is a bunch of ****, so not true in my case anyways. both were over 8lbs at birth.
I TOO THINK THRE WHOLE BOTTLE FED BABIES ARE SICKER THING IS A BUNCH OF YOU KNOW WHAT! I HAVE 3 KIDS......ALL BOTTLEFED.....I CAN COUNT ON ONE HAND HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE HAD TO TAKE ALL 3 TO THE DOCTOR FOR BEING SICK IN 10 YEARS. NEVER ONE EAR INFECTION OR ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN A MILD COLD.
If I dodn't know better I would think that mslkpage was trying to start something here.....lucky I know better hey I am sure that is not the case now is it!
I just want to say that I think all you ladies should be commended for having this discussion in a mature, thoughtful, and intelligent manner. How nice. :) It's refreshing for a change. Thanks for doing your part to make this board a better place.

to the poster... please feed your baby however you are most comfortable. congrats on your pregnancy.

Stacie
ROFLMAO!!! ha,ha,ha...mel, stop!! I'M trying to start something?? Nope, sorry. The original post was about breastfeeding, and I think it's been answered.
Well said Stacie I think we are all becoming better people and thinking before we type!
Well im sorry for posting
Did no one else hear that story on the news about the woman breastfeeding and passing out on her child!!

IT is true in Wisconsin!
I breastfed my daughter until she was a little over 9 months, she ended up not wanting to nurse anymore due to me being pregnant again. I would turn the T.V. on when i nursed, that seem to keep me awake. I know they say not to do that, since it isn't good for you. When i got more comfortable nursing, i would bring her to bed with me and nursed while i slept. It's an amazing thing being a mom, i thought i wouldn't wake up when she stirred but you sure do.
i think some of the comments in here were very rude!!!!!
waterskigirl you put hopefully all the crack smoking hasnt killed all her brain cells and clinique_diva put she must have chowder for brains- these comments are soooo rude and un-necessary. chowder i am proud of you for kicking the habit- i had a friend who got hooked on crack and it was very hard for her to kick it- comments like the ones made in here today do not help-only make her feel bad about herself when she did good by quitting. and all of this was just after the med help people just reminded you the rules.this is rediculous. im imagining waterski and clinique have never delt with someone/or themselves trying to recover from a addiction. chower- in reguards to your question how long after you quit should you wait before getting preg- cocaine leaves your system typically within 2-4 days however you will still have cravings and withdrawls so i would wait at least a few monthes to be sure you have kicked the habit and to get your body healthy again-and i would suggest you go to rehab or N.A. meetings to help support your sobriety. good luck to you!