Baby Powder

Does anyone use baby powder anymore?  What exactly is it used for anyway?  Ava gets milk under her chubby little neck, my SIL says to use powder under her neck to absorb the milk, and to cut back on odor.  My pedi says to stay away from it.  Does anyone else use baby powder??  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i dont use it. i read on the back of one at babiesrus that its for smoothing out skin or something. but theres a warning on it becuase babies can breath it in causing problems.

dommy wound up with a milk rash under his neck too but my moms friends (who all have had lots of kids) say to use triple paste or something under it. they put some on and it went away real quick
Helpful - 0
That makes sense Kim.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  The only Baby Powder we have is a trial size, and I have yet to read the back of it.  I just don't see anyone using powder anymore.  I remember seeing my SIL use it on my nephew 13 years ago, and I remember a little puff of powder errupt as he passed gas.. that was funny.  =)
Helpful - 0
yeah i got a trial size too! but i learned about the whole breathing it in thing at one of my baby basic classes and im like theres no point. i might as well use lotion on his skin and diaper rash cream uner his neck! hehe lol
Helpful - 0
The last baby powder I got was at my shower 18 years ago with DD #1, and it's still 3/4 full!!! It's just not safe to use for their little lungs.
Ava chubby? Really? She is sooooo tiny!! Does she really have a little chub around the neck now? lol
Helpful - 0
i still use powder...i know i dont follow directions ! the hospital told me no powder for babies anymore because of the breathing problems, but both my babies have reactions to nystatin cream for diaper rash, and most over the counter creams as well, so i put pure corn starch powder in their diapers....away from them so they dont breath it in and it works in about a day, and occationally ill put it directly on them but i put it on my hand first .....but for rashes on the neck id stray away.....this sounds weird, but i have doubled chinned babies and they get rashes undedr their, so i just put a tiny bit of vassaline (for babies) under there and the rash goes away...no doctor told me to do so i just thought i would try it and it worked for me
Helpful - 0
I used a liquid talc with my kids on their bodies after a bath, it goes on like a cream but leaves that soft powdery feeling and no powder to be inhaled.
Helpful - 0
Just this past weekend, someone suggested to me that it was great for getting sand off a baby after a beach visit (especially the sand that gets in the diaper area-lol).  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to bring some along on our beach vacation this summer!

Helpful - 0
The regular baby powder is talcum powder, it contains minerals that are similar to asbestos. So it has been suspected that baby powder might cause asthma and possibly cancer. As an alternative corn starch powder was marketed. The only problem is that it can make yeast  diaper rashes worse if they already exist (nit sure if there are other kinds of diaper rashes anyway). I guess that`s why paediatricians recommend to stay away from powder altogether.
Helpful - 0
One of the issues with talc is that using it around the genital areas of female infants has been loosely associated with a higher risk of ovarian or other genital tract cancers later in life.

Cornstarch is a safe alternative.  But be cautious with anything you use that the baby couild inhale, too.
Helpful - 0
i still use baby powder on both of my kids same problem as taysmommy cause both boys have sensitive and once i stop useing it my boys get a rash and i tried the creams and nothing works
Helpful - 0
I dont like it and dont use it. It just clumps up in my girls, uhem, genital area. It is a pain to clean out of the folds of the area, and I find, causes more of a rash. I dont use anything but diaper cream on diaper rashes, I avoid powder altogether. It is a mess and a pain. (Not to mention if your toddler gets into it and dumps it all over your house!)
Helpful - 0
CYW
I've been raised with baby powder..I wash Cameron so he smells good but baby powder just adds to it.. NEVER has he gotten it directly on his skin.. When I apply it to him it is between his undershirt and pjays.. which I might have to stop being that the temperature is getting quite warm...When i put shorts on him for bed, which happened twice, i just put it on his bum on the diaper
Helpful - 0
I love the smell of baby powder.  It's a fresh, clean scent.  One of my girfriend uses it for face powder b/c it absorbs oil.  It doesn't look white on her face, just very smooth.  
Helpful - 0
I wonder why they still include it with those baby gift packs?  No - I was told not to use it too.  I have about 10 of those little bottles I got at my shower with all those little gift packs and I dont know what to do with it.

When dd was an infant I would put a little baby towel under her chin during feedings - no need for bibs that young and it worked fine.
Helpful - 0
Yep, Ava has a double chin just like her mommy.  =)  She is a sloppy eater.  I put bibbs on her, and we still end up with milk everywhere.  I usually use a baby wipe to wipe the excess milk from her neck folds.  It looks like it get raw under there.  I found while I was going through my goodies from my baby shower that I have two bottles of liquid baby powder.  I tried it on my hands and it was messy and hard to clean off!  

Helpful - 0
oops - just an fyi - baby wipes may be hard on her little chin?  My dd has eczema so I know I have to stay clear of her face with them and my hands (I have eczema too) are raw from the wipes.  My derm had to give me a lotion for them.

Sorry - just in case your dd has sensitive skin you may not want to use a wipe on her little face.  warm wash cloth.  Those long wash cloth looking towels work well because you can pretty much wrap them all around the front and under her little chin.
Helpful - 0
Thanks!  She has become a little irritated lately but I thought that was caused by the heat.  I'll keep that in mind.  
Helpful - 0
Yes, you can purchased liquid "powder" or just use plain old petroleum jelly to help with the rash.  
Helpful - 0
oh - also - Aquaphor is great for those little unexplained rashes.  

can you tell I had to deal with a lot of rashes???  Aquaphor still is my rash over the counter med of choice.  
Helpful - 0
I use it if my hair is looking a bit oily but I haven't time to wash it, a little bit rubbed onto my hands and then run through my hair dries up any oily patches!
Helpful - 0
I use it under my lil girls neck, and it is great for getting the sand off at the beach - if you are worried about them inhaling it - they sell roll on baby powder - just like roll on deodorant - i love it!
Helpful - 0
CYW
oh another note aside from for babies.. Apparently..if you perpire sp? Sweat alot and you are going to an outing after you dry yourself from your shower baby powder seems to help.. under the arms etc... I dont know i havent tried but just an idea thrown out there.. anyone else heard of it or tried?
Helpful - 0
Malissa you do NOT have a double chin!! You are BEAUTIFUL!!!! :)
Helpful - 0
cantwait - i agree. i swear by Auquaphor. edward gets all types of mysterious rashes/dry skin spots and when he was real little, had a little baby ecsema. the Aquaphor really works great.

i have not really used baby powder much at all. i was told at the hospital it was a no-no so i stayed away from it at diaper changes and such for a long time. but i got sooo much of it at my baby shower? recently, i jave patted it on his underarms and little belly if he wakes up in the middle of the nite soaked through his diaper and i have to wash him down with a wet washcloth. i never put in his his diaper area though. i guess its a persaonal choice, but when they are so little, you don't want them to inhale anything that could be damaging to their health.

babyhardiman - your little munchkin is sooo adorable :o)
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.