Baby Powder

Does anyone use baby powder anymore?  What exactly is it used for anyway?  Ava gets milk under her chubby little neck, my SIL says to use powder under her neck to absorb the milk, and to cut back on odor.  My pedi says to stay away from it.  Does anyone else use baby powder??  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just this past weekend, someone suggested to me that it was great for getting sand off a baby after a beach visit (especially the sand that gets in the diaper area-lol).  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to bring some along on our beach vacation this summer!

Helpful - 0
The regular baby powder is talcum powder, it contains minerals that are similar to asbestos. So it has been suspected that baby powder might cause asthma and possibly cancer. As an alternative corn starch powder was marketed. The only problem is that it can make yeast  diaper rashes worse if they already exist (nit sure if there are other kinds of diaper rashes anyway). I guess that`s why paediatricians recommend to stay away from powder altogether.
Helpful - 0
One of the issues with talc is that using it around the genital areas of female infants has been loosely associated with a higher risk of ovarian or other genital tract cancers later in life.

Cornstarch is a safe alternative.  But be cautious with anything you use that the baby couild inhale, too.
Helpful - 0
i still use baby powder on both of my kids same problem as taysmommy cause both boys have sensitive and once i stop useing it my boys get a rash and i tried the creams and nothing works
Helpful - 0
I dont like it and dont use it. It just clumps up in my girls, uhem, genital area. It is a pain to clean out of the folds of the area, and I find, causes more of a rash. I dont use anything but diaper cream on diaper rashes, I avoid powder altogether. It is a mess and a pain. (Not to mention if your toddler gets into it and dumps it all over your house!)
Helpful - 0
CYW
I've been raised with baby powder..I wash Cameron so he smells good but baby powder just adds to it.. NEVER has he gotten it directly on his skin.. When I apply it to him it is between his undershirt and pjays.. which I might have to stop being that the temperature is getting quite warm...When i put shorts on him for bed, which happened twice, i just put it on his bum on the diaper
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.