Baby allergies, or cold?

My son (3 months) and I both started getting sick around the same time (Saturday, 4-6-14) and Sunday he started coughing up a storm, runny nose, watery eyes/red around the eyes and a low fever. Yesterday we took him to the doctor and she said that there is a virus going around and there isn't anything we can do about it except keep the humidifier running, put vapo rub on his feet, and suction his nasal drainage. Well, today I woke up feeling miserable so I immediately went to the doctor and she told me what I was experiencing was just allergies, so she gave me a steroid shot, prescribed some nasal spray and sent me on my way... I am beginning to wonder, does my son sound like he have allergies? Or is it a viral cold? His nasal drainage is clear and his fever is low. Our symptoms are similar, but now I am beginning to wonder if it sounds like allergies? If it is allergies, can he take any medication for it? Or are we just going to have to deal with it like the doctor ordered?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't think fever is a symptom of allergies. I've had them for most of my life and have never had a fever, just felt terrible. I'm not sure about babies, but I would think the same idea would apply. The rest of it does sound like allergies, but I don't think babies that little can take anything without a dr saying its ok. I'd say just keep doing what you're doing, also a little baby Tylenol for the fever. Hope yall feel better soon!
Helpful - 0
I agree with the previous poster, the fact there is a fever suggests virus instead of allergies. It could be allergies on top of the virus as a double whammy.
Helpful - 0
Found out that there is this virus going around, my entire family (mom, dad, husband, sister, myself and son) all have it. Unfortunately the doctor said no medication or antibiotics for the baby, he just has to wait for it to pass.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.