Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Baby measurements - Kassimom, any clue?

Well, I had an Ob appt. today and Carrigan is measuring 2 weeks ahead of time! Dr. was already talking about inducing since Kennedy was so big, but Kenny never measured this much ahead.

Any clues as to how out of whack this may or may not be? Hopefully it just means that she will come early! Would love that!

CHLOE - Good luck girl! How excited you must be!!!!!
By external measuring, the doctor can be way off. In my case with Tristan, I was measuring 5 weeks ahead for a majority of the pregnancy, but he was 8lbs 7ounces and it turned out to be too much fluid, not too much baby! Now with a friend, she measured very small throughout her first pregnancy and they freaked out, turned out her little girl was just over 6 lbs, well within the normal range. A lot of factors can influence how big or small you may appear by external examination. Fluid level, baby position, your own body style, etc. U/S is generally more accurate, yet they can still be off by more than a pound either way : )

Andrea
I also am measuring almost 2 weeks ahead - I was also hoping it meant I would be early, but by all accounts so far, it either means nothing or a big baby!!!  My first was almost 9lbs, so I am hoping we don't go too much bigger.  How big was your first?
She was 9.3 and that's why I think they are concerned with this one being even bigger. I just has an u/s 2 weeks ago and she weighed 3.1 and I really didn't have an over abundance of fluid. I'm 5'11" and starting out weight was 150, so I'm thinking Carrigan is going to be big as well.

When is your due date again?
I have no clue, girl! Every time I have an u/s, the machine puts the baby's due date at a week earlier and when I had my 20 wk u/s he already weighted 1.5 lbs! I thought that was big for 20 wks!! Especially when I read about preemies being born at 24,25, & 26 wks weighing in at 1 lb.  

I have asked my OB every time I go in and he measures how I measure and he just says "fine". But I have gained 38 lbs! I figure if it were a problem he would address it because he has already said he doesn't want this baby to get too big (DD was 9.5lbs)

I go in Friday for my 32 wk u/s and he is having them do weight and measurements, so I can't wait to find out what this little bugger tips the scales at now!

BTW, We were thinking of taking DD to this last u/s. She hasn't seen an u/s yet and I really think she would enjoy it and it would really make the baby a reality for her. I mean, she knows he has a room filled with baby stuff, she has felt him kick, but I think actually SEEING what looks like a baby on a screen  might help too! Have you taken Kennedy to an u/s and did she enjoy it?
I'm just gonna put my two cents in about the u/s.  I am going at 3 today to have mine done and we will be taking our 5 year old son.  He's very excited about going to have "baby pictures" taken, but I dont' know if he will understand what is on the screen.  I will let you know how he reacts and hopefully that will give you some insight
I think it was Chrisite too who said that u/s and measurements can be as much as a pound off.

When I was preg with DD, at my last visit before I had her, I kept telling the NP that she was getting too big. The NP assured me that she was only about 7 lbs. A few days later, in the L&D, the L&D nurses asured me that she was only about 7lbs. After 16 hours of intense labor, I delivered a 9.5lb child and everyone was shocked.....MOST OF ALL ME!!! LOL
Great!! Thanks! Please do fill me in!
Yeah, we took Kennedy when I had one at 20 weeks and she loved it! I think she would enjoy it more now that Carrigan is bigger and she could tell more about her, but I'm not sure that I'll have another one. OB told me that babies really don't start gaining their weight until 32 weeks, and I was thinking, ok......at 29 weeks she weighed 3.1, so who knows how big this child will be. I can tell though that she has grown a lot, and then when they told me yesterday that she was measuring 2 weeks ahead, I thought "Oh My"!!!!!

I remember them telling me with Kenny that she would weigh 8.3 and she was 9.3. Hopefully Dr. K will do another u/s just to get an idea! I think Kassi will enjoy it though! I'm just soooooo ready! Even though I'm 27, this one has aged me a few more years!
Yes with my daughter by measuring my stomach he told me at 8 months he thought she was between 9 and 10 pounds already so he was going to want to induce me. I ended up being induced and my daughter only wieghed 7pds 15ounces. The ultra sound at 20 weeks showed her due date one week earlier which they say is normal. So I don't think it's acurate when they measure....At my 13week appointment this time around by measuring she thought I was awful big for 13 weeks so we did a ultra sound and the baby measured exactly 13weeks! She told me I just have a large uterus! First time I've heard that...So I wouldn't worry too much about the size when they measure because with both of my pregnancies it's been off! Good luck.
My DH and I took our DD with us to my 20wk u/s. We really wanted to include her as much as possible and thought that it would be something special that she will always remember.
She was so excited to see him moving around, I think that made it more real that we were having a baby..
I think our DD's are the same age so I think she will be just like my DD and be so excited to see her little brother.
Mandy
Thanks for the input everyone! Now I am really excited about taking her! I think she will enjoy it!
I am due Nov. 8th, but since I was 12 days late with my daughter, I feel I am owed to be at least a week early with this one!  Probably doesn't work that way, though.  Kaitlin was 8lbs 13oz, and I am a little afraid of an extra pound or two on the second one.  I am not a small person either, and had no trouble pushing Kaitlin out in three pushes, so I hope that it works the same way.  I hope so for you too!!!