Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Best advice/info about making homemade baby food

Got back from DD's 4 month ped visit (oh lord we are CRABBY from shots!) I got the green light to feed her fruits and veggies.  I want to make them myself versus buying.  Just a question....what is the best way to defrost baby food if I freeze it in cubes.  Also a what is the best method to prepare foods ?  I am thinking of starting her off with peas.
in terms of method, we simply steam fresh or frozen vegetables, then puree in a food processor. add water to thin it out if necessary.
YOU CAN BASICALLY START WITH WHAT YOU FEEL YOUR BABY WOULD LIKE, MY SON LOVES TO EAT AND ALL WE DO IS PROCESS THE FOOD THAT WE EAT, JUST MAKE SURE YOU TRY ONE AT A TIME FOR ABOUT A WEEK EACH, THAT WAY YOU KNOW IF YOUR CHILD HIS ALLERGIC OR NOT TO WHAT YOU GAVE THEM. IT IS CHEAPER TOO TO FEED THEM WHAT YOU EAT. TRY SOME MASHED POTATOES AND SWEET POTATOES
Don't look forward to the shots!!! About the food: steaming is always good and then blending them.
I started out buying, and then saved the plastic containers from gerber.  They were perfectly proportioned for my baby when I started making own food.  Then even when my baby started eating chunks and pieces, I bought frozen veggies, steamed them, then divided them into those containers and froze them.  Pop into the micro, and your good to go.  Those things last a while, just dont overcook them in mic, or they will not last as long;)
also dont freeze in glass jars, unless you like your freezer splattered with glass shards and frozen peas
I steamed, froze in ice cube trays and then put the cubes in plastic bags.  I thawed in fridge and heated by placing dish in hot water.  Didn't want to microwave.  I also have a little hand mill and as the baby got older just milled a little of what we were eating.

Organic produce tastes better.

Statt with veggied before fruit.  Introduce one new food, if the baby handles that well, add another one 3-5 days later.  Both my kids started with carrots, sweet potatoes and squash.