Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Beware of the 1st Period After D

BEWARE:  I had a D&C on 8-4-06.  I had a couple of light spots over the last couple of weeks, but on Friday (7 weeks later) my period really started.  I just wanted to let everyone know, who doesn't know already, what to expect.  I have never in my whole life seen so much blood.  The cramps were bad, but the blood- so much of it- like a jugular that's been cut into.  I knew that everyone said that it would be heavy, but I was just was not prepared.  However, I am glad that it's here- but do not have any idea of when it may leave.  I'm on the 4th day of heavy bleeding, and although it has lightened up a little, there is no sign of it stopping anywhere in sight.  I just try to keep in mind that I've read that after a D&C the heavier it is- the better.  Sorry if this was too much info for some of you, as I do not have a weak stomach.
Thanks for the info...I had a d&c last Tues. Although icky...glad to know that the heavier the better so I won't freak out! My Dr told me 2 cycles before ttc...what did your Dr tell you?
I've never heard that the heavier the better after a D&C. I had a D&C last year after a m/c and my first period was pretty much normal, just late. So it is different for everyone. If its too heavy, just keep in touch with your doctor to make sure everything is ok. I don't want anyone to get worried if they don't ahve a heavy period after a D&C either.
My Dr said 2 cycles as well. One down, one to go.
I agree with Jenny and it seemed worth mentioning just so nobody freaks out if their first period is NOT unusual.  After my D&C, my next period was entirely normal.  It must be variable with the person.  PPPAgent, I hope you are taking a lot of iron, so you don't wind up anemic, and staying in touch with your doc if this goes on for days.  Good luck, honey.
My first AF after my D&C was normal, as well. It took 5 weeks before it showed, but once it did, it was the same as before.
Not that anyone should worry if it's not heavy, but I do know that your period will help you shed dead/damaged cells that one may have after a D&C.  My Dr said that I should wait 2 periods, or cycles, so that my uterus can heal and strengthen by getting rid of old, scarred, or damaged cells that the surgery could have caused.  Anytime that you have surgery, whether it be a D&C, LEAP, CRYO, whatever, your body will scab over and sluff off these damaged cells. I would infer that the more of this stuff that comes out, the better.
I had a d&c in July and it took 8 weeks for my AF to come.  When it did I bled really heavy the first day and then I had 2 days of regular Af afterwards and thats it.  I guess everyone is different and I am sure every doctor has their own way of doing a d&c.
Although I did not have a D&c I m/c with metho. & was also warned about first Af.I bled for almost a month after m/c So I'm not looking foward till 1st Af.Nanis
I had a D & E in late February...almost 9 wks later i got first AF and it was BRUTAL!!!  I think it depends on the person.  I bled a lot and the cramps were unbelievable.  I actually called my Dr. to see if it was normal and he said it perfectly normal to have a heavier period after D.  I think it's depends on the person...because i know others that had a normal AF after D.
Thank you!  I had a d&c on Sep 2nd but haven't had a period yet.  At least now if it is a little (or a lot) heavier than normal I won't panic.  My dr. didn't tell me anything.  He also said that I could ttc right away.  There seems to be a mixed review on when to ttc again.
My AF was actually exactly how I remembered and was not heavier.  There is some good news to having a heavy or normal AF after your D&C though.  The OBGYN told me that when you have a very light or a series of light AFs after your D&C that could be a sign of scarring.  When I had my D&C I was certainly afraid of scarring because scarring can cause infertility.  So, a normal or heavy AF is one indicator that there was no scarring.
Thanks for confirming my story.  I knew that I gathered that info from somewhere.  I'm glad that I didn't make that one up.  That's what my Doc meant as well.  Glad that yours wasn't as bad as mine.
I am reading this posting almost one year later and I cannot thank you enough for mentioning it.  I had a D&C on July 31st.  I bled (spotted) for almost 3 weeks after it.  It finally subsided and on Aug 24th I started what has been the most brutal period I have ever had -- I seriously thought something was wrong and I am on day 5 and still bleeding strong.  This is exhausing for me.  When did yours finally stop?  
YUP!!!! I AGREE. Started mine today after 7 weeks and I was actually in the ER last night because of the two days of pre-cramps I had leading up to today. Today the flow is  worse than after childbirth. Not wanting to scare anyone off because it certainly doesn't go that way for everyone but honestly...be ready for it.
I've had 7 D&Cs (unfortunately) and have never experienced this. If anything, my periods were lighter.

kenyamack, take care of yourself.

I had a D and C on March 5,2008  and started my first period after 28 day's. The cramps before and still are really bad. My Dr. says just to take Motrin and take a hot bath. I hate it.
i had my first pregnancy that ended with a miscarriage and a D&C on June 29th. it has been exactly 2 weeks since, after the D&C my doc said i sould stop bleeding after one week but that it could last as long as 6 weeks. my bleeding ended alomst exactly one week after. My doc told me that she didnt have to do much scraping at all and that it was mostly just the suction and that the less scraping they have to do the better b/c of less possible scarring. at the end of the post D&C bleeding it ended with a brown rusty color just like my periods do. i was also told i would start ttc after one cycle. i was told that my period should start anywhere from 14-28 days after the D&C but it could take longer. it just started today, i think b/c its been exactly 14 days with no blood for the past week and now there is fresh bright red blood but its not heavy at all. i was wondering if anyone had anything to offer to know if this is really my period starting?
Had My D & C on July 1st  this year.  I had just started my period today August 7th, it felt like I wasn't ever going to start, and I knew I was expecting my period (when I didn't know) , but didn't have any pre-symptoms. My doctor told me also to wait 2 cycle months  before trying again. I am sorry for every woman who has been through this. I have had a bad time myself emotionally.
i remember i bled heavily after my dnc, i was 8 weeks pregnant at the time, i had awful stomach cramps too and the meds i was taking didn't help a great deal, from what i remember, it was back in aug 2003, i bled for about ten days afterwards and then waited about 5 weeks before my period which was as usual, heavy!
I had a D&C on Aug. 24 at 6-1/2 weeks due to a blighted ovum. It's been a little over four weeks now and I am still waiting for my period but nothing yet. I know the doc says 4-6 weeks after the D&C, but I'm worried that if I don't get it right away it may mean I won't be regular my next cycle. I am ttc again after this cycle comes.
I had a d & c last month and almost exactly 28 days later, I started my first period which was also EXTREMLY heavy the first 2 days. I was quite worried and am really relieved to hear that I am not alone! I had never seen so much blood before! But after the second day it went way lighter and today looks like it's tword the end of what a normal period would be! Good luck ladies!
I had a D&C almost 4 weeks ago... and Thursday I got AF or so I thought I had cramping the night before but I only had a brownish pink spotting, and it only lasted for 2-3 days... my normal AF is usualy pretty heavy.  Should I be concerned about this?  My dr told me to be prepared for an Extremely heavy one.
Did you notice any clots while you were spotting?  I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks after a d&c and it was just some missed tissue my body was passing.  My dr said af should be the same as before you got pg.
I am on my third period after D&C for miscarriage.  I got my first AF exactly 28 days after D&C and I have been on 28 days cycle ever since.  This is weird because for years I was 32 days cycle.  Also, I came to this message board looking for info because I was worried because AF has been heavier and with brighter blood than before since D&C.  I'm relieved to see that this seems to be common.