Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Birth control methods....

Hi I`ve posted on here before, but didn`t really get many replies to my question, so I decided to post again. After I had my baby in Aug. `02, I wanted to try the b-control pill. I took Ortho Tri-cyclen, but it ran my blood pressure up. So I had to stop taking it. Does anyone know if switching brands, maybe to a lower dosage make a difference? I`m not really taking anything right now, just being careful, and I`d really like some form of b-control. And what are the risks w/ the IUD? My friend starting using it, but the thought of it makes me nervous.... Thanks....
I've never had much success w/ the pill.  I tried a few different ones...even the "mini" pills.  My OB is trying to convince me that the IUD is the way to go.  I'm not sure how I feel about it either! I would love to hear some suggestions as well! Sorry I'm not much help! Up until now i've been all about getting pregnant...with the two losses this year I think I need to take a break and try some birth control! =)
The only form of birth control I have ever used besides condoms (my first 2 pg were through condoms) was Depo Provera. I loved it until I decided i wanted to conceive. It take a long time for it to leave your system. I was on it for over 3 years beofre getting married and loved it. I didn't have a period all that time and never worried about getting pg. After having my son, I went on it again as it is only 1 of 2 forms of birth control that a woman can take while breadtfeeding. After 2 shots, I decided I wanted to start trying again. It took my close to a year to get pg again.

The mini pill is also available and a lot less permanent. But the major downfall to that is it HAS to be taken THE SAME TIME everyday and within so many hours of sex. Like if you and your partner seem to usually have sex around 10pm you would take the pill every night at 6pm. I would have had no succes with that, i would forget : )

There is also the ring you insert, the weekly patch, many different kinds and dosages of BCP's and condoms. Don't forget diaphrams and IUDS. But i agree, I don't like the idea of IUD's either. Just stay clear of norplant. I don't know if it is still on the market, but it needs to be yanked if it still is : )

Hope this helps a little

Andrea
I have a friend who is a doctor, and she told me about a new form of birth control.  I don't know too much about it, since I was working on getting pregnant.  But I think the doctor inserts it, but it is a lot less risky than an IUD.  It may be the ring that someone mentioned, but I really don't know.  Seems like a stupid question, but did you talk to your doctor?
Thanks for all of your replies, I appreciate it. I may try the mini pill; hopefully it will not run up my blood pressure. Take care all....
The mini-pill is progesterone based like depo-provera. In fact it is the same thing, only in a daily pill form instead of the longer acting shot.

Andrea
Do you know if the mini pill is associated w/ heavy bleeding like Depo Provera? I took Depo Provera when I was 17, and it made me feel WEIRD. I had migraines, and a lot of spot bleeding.... Are there any brand names for the mini pill, or is it just called "the mini pill"? I don`t know much about it... Thanks....
By the way, my baby is named Andrea! Her middle name is Caitlin...
I didn't actually take it, I got an rx  for it, but we decided we wanted to try to conceive again so they have been sitting in my bathroom. I don't know if you will have the same reaction as you did with depo. I know a lot of women who hated depo, they gained weight, were moody, bled all the time, etc. But i had every goo d "side effect" I didn't have a period, my moods were great, no weight gain, my moods were fine, etc. But when I got on it after having my son, mixed with the fact I was still b/f exclusively  I had no sex drive and other problems associated with it. So your reaction to it can be very different as your hormones change. The nice thing about the mini-pill is that is doesn't stay in your system like depo. Once you stop taking it, thats it. You don't have to wait for it to leave your system if you don't like it.

Okay, i just ran and found my rx for the mini-pill (still have 2 full unopened packages that have expired, but it is good reference) Anyway, it is called Ortho Micronor (brand name) or NOR-QD .35mg (generic) But it is pretty restrictive and very easy to screw up. Like i mentioned before, you have to take the exact same time every day and approximately 4 hours before you expect to have sex. I guess it is meant for very regular couples : )

I think something like this might be a good idea, if the estrogen in the pill was causing the bp problems. The nuva ring is just like the BCP as is the patch. Maybe look into an IUD, i have no idea how those work, but the info should be easy to find on the internet. If you have any problems finding the info or do not have time, let me know and I will search for you.

Andrea

Hi. My Gyn had put me on the ORTHO VERA patches, since any form of the pill was getting me sick, and they worked really well. Your given 3 pathces and 1 extra(incase it comes off, you place 1 patch on an area of your body(sholuder blade, buttock,shoulder,or abdomen)for one week, then on sunday(or what ever day you started)you change your patch(it's best if you change locations)and you do this for 3 weeks straight, on the 4th week you get your period. I enjoyed using these, they didnt get me sick, and I didnt have to remember the pill. So give it a try. Good Luck!

Jessica
Joining in the birth control topics.  I also took depo provera and loved it, I too had all the good side effects that Andrea mentioned.  Also I have taken ortho tricyclene lo, I am on that now.  But after the depo, it is hard to remember to take the pill.  I admit I am not good at it.  

My sister uses the ortho evra patch, and she has had a lot of trouble with it.  She gets sick once a month, when she puts on the first patch.  She needs to use it though because like me she is horrible at taking pills.

My mom said the best form of birth control she ever used was a diaphram.  She wouldn't ever have used anything else.  She hated pill, they made her sick, and the idea of an IUD threw her off.  So here is my ten cents..hope I could have been helpful.
Can the patch run your blood pressure up?
The patch is pretty much like the pill. I would talk to your OB. I looked at the Nuva Ring and it can. So I am guessing that the patch might too. How long term are you looking for as far as birth control? If you are looking for ,ong term, I would consider the shot if shorter term and you have a good memory, maybe the mini-pill is an option.

ANdrea