Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Bleeding after D

I had an ultrasound on 8/3/04 (at 12 weeks) which showed my baby had died about 3 weeks earlier.  Had a D&C the next day, and had minimal bleeding and moderate cramps.  5 days later, I had severe cramps and began passing clots the size of prunes.  This lasted for 2 days.  Bleeding has been on and off ever since - some days I have nothing, but others, I get brown stuff that looks gross.  It's been almost 4 weeks since the D&C, and I am frustrated.  Dr. says that everything looks fine, but I don't feel "fine."  I want to conceive ASAP, but until I get 2 normal periods, I have to wait (according to my dr.)  My HCG levels are dropping very slowly, and I go every week to have them checked.  I want to know how long other women have had to wait until the "brown stuff" stopped coming out, and a normal period began.  I just want to be pregnant again.  This would have been our first, and we are desperately ttc again.  Any stories would be appreciated.  Thanks for listening.  Christine
I had an ultrasound around the same time in my pregnancy which showed the same thing and had a d&c.  I had the huge clots about 4 or 5 days later, and bled only about a week.  I got my period again about 5 and a half weeks after the d&c, but everyone is different.  I think it's normal to bleed for a month like you have, although that must be terrible for you.  Have patience about trying again until you are emotionally ready to - I felt the same way you do, and I'm glad I waited.  I had two periods in between the d&c and my current pregnancy - I'm about 2 months along now.  I'm so sorry for your loss - be patient with yourself and your partner - I know how hard it can be.
I bled for more than 2 months after my miscarriage.  On the 5th week, it stopped but it came back after a few days.  I have fibroid and after suffering for more than a month of bleeding, my gyne determined that the fibroid cause the bleeding to continue. I had UFE(Uterine Fibroid Embolization) 3 weeks ago and right after the procedure, I stopped bleeding.

My HCG went down so slowly. Only after 2 months then it came down to 0.
I'm going through the same thing right now.  I had an Ultrasound at 12 weeks where we found the fetus was measuring at 8-9 weeks and was not viable.  I had a D & C two days later, started lightly bleeding a week after for two weeks.  Stopped for a week and now I'm on day two of some really heavy bleeding.  I've soaked through 4 pads in 12 hours.  Thinking there is something wrong I called my doctor, who told me this was normal...I hate the word normal...nothing about this should be normal...I want to know what went wrong but was told they won't look into anything on the first miscarriage...I'm terrified to try again, I don't know what to do, I feel like something is wrong and everyone just keeps saying it's normal....
I hate the word normal too. I feel like my body is so messed up from my misscarriage. I too have bleeding on and off. It's so hard because one minute I thin i'm getting my period and then the bleeding stops. There is nothing normal about any of this. It has been 3 weeks since my d and c and I just wish everything would get back to normal. I too want to concieve asap but it's heart breaking every time I start to bleed.
Hi ladies.  I've had 3 D & C's.  It's such a horrible thing.  My first one - I had "brown" discharge for 4 weeks, so I called my Dr, who sent me for an Ultrasound.  After 2 more ultrasounds, measurements of HCG, and much deliberation, it was discovered that I had "retained product".  During the discovering process, the brown discharged, turned into periodic heavy bleeding, accompanied by very large blood clots - the size of a Roma tomato.  I had to go in for a 2nd D &C.  This time I spotted for 2 & half weeks, and got my period 3 weeks later.  I'm currently recovering from my 3rd D & C, and it's been 2 weeks of spotting.  I'm hoping it will stop soon - we also desperately want to be pregnant.  All you ladies who your doctor told you it's "normal" to have heavy bleeding - please know that it's NOT normal.  My OBGYN told me if my bleeding turns heavy and clotting occurs, I need to see him ASAP.  Please take care of yourselves.  
I'm in the same boat... had a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks...the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks.  I am currently 6 weeks post D&C and had my period 2 weeks ago like clockwork...the brown gook keeps coming out of me just when I wipe on a daily basis...sometimes even larger brown chunks of stuff.  I called my Dr. today they asked me to take a PG test tomorrow morn. call them with the results and schedule an ultrasound with them during the week to see if there is any residule stuff left in me to be taken out in a repeat D&C.  All of your comments gave me the idea to demand a blood test to test my HCG levels now, I want to see where I'm at.  Recovering from all of this is not an over-night thing and NO ONE informed me of any of this.  I am a mess!