Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Blood Type Question!!

Got Ava's blood type today.  Her's is A+, mine is O+, does this mean that her father is A????  We do not know his blood type.  I tried to study it but it's all soooo confusing to me.  Anyone know the answer to this??
17 Responses
172826 tn?1423422956
from what I have learned...We are the same.. Cameron is A+, I am O+ and we didn't know keith's and so he has to be A+ because A or B take over O...I learned this in my nursing...basically from what I know if both parents are O the baby will be O, if both are A baby will be A if both ar B baby will be B if one is B and O the baby will take B, if one is O and one is A the baby will be A and if one is A and the other B the baby becomes AB...That's how we were explained...Hope it helps...

here are some helpful sites

http://www.drgreene.com/21_521.html

http://www.bloodservices.ca/Centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/Blood%20Types%20and%20Rh%20System?OpenDocument

Thanks!  I thought that is how I was reading it but I wasnt's 100% positive.  
172826 tn?1423422956
i know it is confusing.. i finally understood it..
161938 tn?1212169149
he could also be AB
I understood it to be that a baby would inherit their father's blood type. ? It is confusing!
mysty2001 is correct. He could be either A or AB.

JoyRenee.... The baby can inherit either one of the parents blood type.
Yeah, I read that after I posted that he could be AB.  His parents are Jehovah's witness so they do not know their blood types, or their kids blood types.  IMO it is important to know what your blood type is.  Ava will always know hers because I know it now.  =)  It's a cool thing to know.  
93532 tn?1349370450
But Jehovah's Witnesses won't accept blood products, so they don't feel they need to know. It is a good idea for him to find out if he is not following their tenets anymore, just in case something happens.

He really does need to know his blood type for that reason.  I e-mailed his mom, and that is how I found out about the blood beliefs.  I have alot to learn about Jehovah's witnesses...
172023 tn?1334672284
Yes, her father has to be a type A blood type.

sadly enough i dont know my blood type and cant remember my sons, i dont think they told me addisons.  who has record of that? do they check at birth always?
I went to the hospital and they gave me a copy of the paperwork that stated her blood type... it only cost $.50
93532 tn?1349370450
Call your OB, they will have it, PK.

Funny story (okay, sort of scary actually) I am O+, my real mom, my dad, my sister, we are all O+. Have always known my blood type, never a question. I go in to the hospital to be induced with Bub and we are going through everything (keep in mind i just found out that my soon to be first-born child has a potentially dangerous hole in his heart) so we are rushing through everything as I am a bit antsy. They are asking questions, reading my chart from my OB's office, etc. The nurse gets to my blood type: "You are A+...blah, blah, blah" "Ummm, no, I am O+" "No we have here you are A+"

So now I am not only freaking out about my baby, but now questioning my father's paternity all at once. We obviously sent off for an immediate typing. Turns out it could have been a fatal error, somehow they mixed up the results on that, I am O+.

I can laugh now at how ridiculous it is, you look at my dad and you look at me and there is no doubt we are father and daughter. But it was a good thing I knew.
Holy C R A P!  Yeah, it's a good thing you knew.  That is a scary story.
172826 tn?1423422956
DS was tested the night before we went home...We were given a paper with a copy of his blood type as well as alot of other information...

If you don't know your blood type apparently it's really easy.. They ***** your finger and put your blood on some piece of papa that has something on it and if the blood reacts to either A,B,O or AB then that is how they determine your blood type...The RH factor.. (neg or pos) I don't know...maybe they do the same or they need a full blood test...
167 tn?1374173817
He could be A or AB.
172023 tn?1334672284
Ooops!  True.  
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.