Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Breast Feeding and losing weight

I'm breastfeeding my little one, she's 5 weeks now.  I've stopped bleeding and have started exercising again.  I run on a treadmill and lift weights.  I eat really well 5-6 meals a day with a portion of protien and good carbs each meal.  I drink lots of water.  I wanted to know if anyone else has had trouble shedding their weight while breastfeeding.  I figured that starting my workouts again and eating well would at least shed a pound or two and after two weeks of this NOTHING!  I have about 8-10 to go and I'm usually pretty lean and with my first I was back in my cloths within two weeks!  Yes two weeks of having the baby.  I'm frustrated that I don't fit into my cloths and worry I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe.  Can anyone else tell me if they too are having trouble while breastfeeding?  I thought it burned more calories?  I'm very confused
I am also breastfeeding and I lost all mine without exercise.  I am actually under my pre pregnancy weight now but it did take a while, I didn't really start to lose it until about 8 weeks after giving birth......hang in there and give it time and you will be back in your wardrobe soon
Breastfeeding does burn calories.   I do not know why you are not losing other than you said you were lifting weights which would add muscle and therefore putting more pounds on the scale.  I lost all of my baby weight with no exercise both times (of course gained it all back because of NO exercise).  Keep at it.  It will all come off.  You may be adding a few more calories (which is what you are suppose to do) so you can breastfeed.  Good Luck and keep it up.  Take Care and let us know how it goes.
My doc told me I only needed 300 extra colories per day while bf......it is possible that you are eating too much since you are eating 5 to 6 meals per day.
I lost all my weight by bf alone but it did not only take 2 weeks, more like 2 months.
Best of luck and hang in there, bf does make you lose more weight than not bf.
your body bounces back faster the first time.  give your self a break it has only been 5 weeks....btw you are also gaining liquid (the older baby gets the more milk you produce)  so your breasts are probably getting heavier.  just keep up the good work and try not to get frustrated.  oh and put the scale away for a while. :)
~nanci
First, don't cut calories while breastfeeding, baby will suffer if you do that. Most will say you need 2500 calories to successfully breastfeed.

I never dieted, never worked out, and never counted a single calorie or fat gram/carb and I lost all my baby weight with both boys under a month after having them (my first took only 2 weeks to lose 47 lbs, my second took 3 weeks to lose 48)

You can work out, try to feed baby before as when you work out lactic acid from your muscles dumps into your breastmilk, causing it to have a foul taste.

Relax, having a healthy baby is far more important than what your pant size is : )

Andrea
I eat small meals that equal about 300 calories each and only nutrient dense food.  So I take in about 1500-1800 calories per day and I exercise about 5 days per week.  I truly don't know what is going on I'm very confused.  Maybe it's b/c I'm 36?  Maybe my metabolism is just too slow.  I usually weight 125 and I'm 134 and my body fat is the same I have a scale that measures both so I don't kid myself that it's muscle it's FAT!  Your posts just make me even more confused and I'll just have to get even tougher on myself and do more cardio and keep at it.  I imagine if I didn't exercise I'd actually be gaining weight?  My cloths are all size 4 and I'd say I'm a 6 or 8 depending upon style.  Anyway I'm going out for a nice long walk, maybe that will help to adding more cardio and a daily walk.