Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Breast Feeding and losing weight

I'm breastfeeding my little one, she's 5 weeks now.  I've stopped bleeding and have started exercising again.  I run on a treadmill and lift weights.  I eat really well 5-6 meals a day with a portion of protien and good carbs each meal.  I drink lots of water.  I wanted to know if anyone else has had trouble shedding their weight while breastfeeding.  I figured that starting my workouts again and eating well would at least shed a pound or two and after two weeks of this NOTHING!  I have about 8-10 to go and I'm usually pretty lean and with my first I was back in my cloths within two weeks!  Yes two weeks of having the baby.  I'm frustrated that I don't fit into my cloths and worry I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe.  Can anyone else tell me if they too are having trouble while breastfeeding?  I thought it burned more calories?  I'm very confused
I am also breastfeeding and I lost all mine without exercise.  I am actually under my pre pregnancy weight now but it did take a while, I didn't really start to lose it until about 8 weeks after giving birth......hang in there and give it time and you will be back in your wardrobe soon
Breastfeeding does burn calories.   I do not know why you are not losing other than you said you were lifting weights which would add muscle and therefore putting more pounds on the scale.  I lost all of my baby weight with no exercise both times (of course gained it all back because of NO exercise).  Keep at it.  It will all come off.  You may be adding a few more calories (which is what you are suppose to do) so you can breastfeed.  Good Luck and keep it up.  Take Care and let us know how it goes.
My doc told me I only needed 300 extra colories per day while bf......it is possible that you are eating too much since you are eating 5 to 6 meals per day.
I lost all my weight by bf alone but it did not only take 2 weeks, more like 2 months.
Best of luck and hang in there, bf does make you lose more weight than not bf.
your body bounces back faster the first time.  give your self a break it has only been 5 weeks....btw you are also gaining liquid (the older baby gets the more milk you produce)  so your breasts are probably getting heavier.  just keep up the good work and try not to get frustrated.  oh and put the scale away for a while. :)
~nanci
First, don't cut calories while breastfeeding, baby will suffer if you do that. Most will say you need 2500 calories to successfully breastfeed.

I never dieted, never worked out, and never counted a single calorie or fat gram/carb and I lost all my baby weight with both boys under a month after having them (my first took only 2 weeks to lose 47 lbs, my second took 3 weeks to lose 48)

You can work out, try to feed baby before as when you work out lactic acid from your muscles dumps into your breastmilk, causing it to have a foul taste.

Relax, having a healthy baby is far more important than what your pant size is : )

Andrea
I eat small meals that equal about 300 calories each and only nutrient dense food.  So I take in about 1500-1800 calories per day and I exercise about 5 days per week.  I truly don't know what is going on I'm very confused.  Maybe it's b/c I'm 36?  Maybe my metabolism is just too slow.  I usually weight 125 and I'm 134 and my body fat is the same I have a scale that measures both so I don't kid myself that it's muscle it's FAT!  Your posts just make me even more confused and I'll just have to get even tougher on myself and do more cardio and keep at it.  I imagine if I didn't exercise I'd actually be gaining weight?  My cloths are all size 4 and I'd say I'm a 6 or 8 depending upon style.  Anyway I'm going out for a nice long walk, maybe that will help to adding more cardio and a daily walk.
Again your post confuses me how can you all be losing this weight and I'm not.  I think I may have a thiroid problem and will discuss this with the Dr. at my 6 week appointment.  I was the same as all of you with the first I lost it all and then some in 2-4 weeks.  This time it won't budge.  In fact I came home after delivering a 6 pound baby, bags of water, placenta and everything only 4 pounds lighter?  I only gained 20 pounds total with the pregnancy.  I'm not being vain about this I'm truly concerned I've never experienced this before I think something is wrong with me.
at the drs office last week I just read an article about "trying"  to lose the weight.  It said that your body instinctively knows when it is "ok"  to shed those pounds and it won't no matter what before then.  If you are obsessed with being a size four - you may be jeapordizing your long term chances of a size for for a few months of please=ure(that is if the article was correct!)  I agree that you should be getting around 2500 calories - no you won't necesarily gain weight - your body migt be sensing too few calories and not being efficient
good luck,  (ps I was very angry to not fit in my size 4s after my miscarriage in Nov - so I understand)
I gained 50 pounds during pregnancy and have 13 pounds left now at 12 weeks postpartum---I did't start any exercise until 40 days after and lost the weight from breastfeeding and exercise and watching my diet within the first 2 months---now I am stuck---I have gone down another pants size without losing any pounds onthe scale---Iwas a 6 before pregnancy and squeezed into a 12 after the first 2 weeks post partum--now I fit into 8 comfortably--but that little belly won't go away and my breasts went from a 34 d to a 32 G ---some of you may be holding extra weight in your breasts because of breastfeeding--also I read that your body might hold onto about 5 pounds until you finish breastfeeding because it needs to make sure it has some storage.  I think the last 10 is always difficult when trying to lose weight ----I think 40 pounds in 2 weeks is unhealthy by the way
You're not alone.  This is my first baby and I have had a time shedding the pounds.  I was 128 prepregnancy and I got up to 163 (gain of 35 pounds).  About 3 weeks post partum I was down to 142 and I completely stopped losing any weight.  Just recently I got down to 138 but I have stopped losing weight again.  So I have 10 pounds to go and my baby turned 3 months yesterday.  I'm not stressed about it.  My clothes are fitting better and better.  My weddign ring even fits comfotably again which I thought would never happen.  I just think we have this preconceived notion that we will lose it immediately because we are b/f...not so much.  I have not started exercising because I work full time and have no time for it.  I do, however, eat really healthy during the week.  I have cut out most of my sugar except for an occasional coke to help me stay awake during the day.
My baby is 9 months old and I have lost 55 of the whopping 60 pounds I gained with breastfeeding, walking most days and eating a healthy vegetarian diet.  It came off slooooww and steady for me, just keep up your calories and drink enough water.  Baby first.  It is true that if you are building muscle you could be adding pounds to the scale, and it is true that your body will slow down and stop burning fat if you aren't eating enough.  Think about it... your body is NOT going to burn off those fat reserves until it knows you're going to nourish it properly so it can feed the baby...  I heard somewhere that your body will take about 200 calories a day from your stored fat for milk, so you need to consume about 2,000 a day so you are getting the 17-1800 you need to properly function, plus for baby.  It can take time...  personally I don't think anything is wrong with you, your body is intelligent and it has a reason for what it does during pregnancy and post partum.  Don't worry about it!  It took me 9 months to lose most of my weight and I'm sure if I keep doing what I'm doing more will come off gradually as well.  
^^^ her baby is probably a toddler by now, she's probably back to size 4 or less by now.... and i doubt she's around anymore.....

;) just a thought...
I don't know - I ony gained 16 lbs with both my kids and the first was 8.2 and the other 8.11 so I didn't really have 'weight' to lose but I am having trouble after the 2nd (born in Oct) with the extra skin and looseness of my belly.  It's gross.  I don't know how to tighten it....

I eat a ton right now too...is that normal?  I don't remember eating this much while nursing my DD....but then again DS is eating like every 2 hrs still at 4mos old.
I eat well over 4-5 meals a day....not gaining weight though...still at my pre-pregnancy weight of 110.
Any thoughts on why I'd be eating so much?  What about all the loose skin - Is it permanent?

By the way - VSENTZ - whoo hooo....almost there...and did I hear right...it's a girl!!!!
I wish i could lose more.  I eat my 3 meals a day i was about 130 pre pregnancy and was 170 full term i'm now still hovering at about 140-150  i've been doing mild excersize everyday, and bf but can't lose anymore!!! not to mention my hips are way bigger! i can't get my pants over my hips any of my prepregancy pants : ( i used to be so fit and it's depressing i don't even want to shop for new clothes because i'm afraid of what the tag will say.  
I blame societies impossible standards of beauty for my insecurities.  If I was PAID to be skinny i'm sure i'd look like a celeb too...
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! long time no seee!!!!!!! =)) How are you doing?? and how's little one doing????? are you adjusting well to mommahood???? I bet so! you are a great woman!
Yes girlfriend, you heard right! it's a little precious princess!!! (sorry.... im so proud of her, all fluffed up and ready to show her off! lol) i saw her in the U/S yesterday and she's just the perfect little baby! perfect little nose, lips, head.... oh my God Deanne, waiting was WELL WORTH IT! ya know?? =) Tell me how's everything going over there in Philly!? are you getting the nasty freezing rain tomorrow?
Give it time!! You usually get better results after the baby is consuming more. By the time she is 3-4 months you will most likely be asking yourselg why you worried about it in the first place. If you are concerned ask your doc to check your thyroid at your postpartum check up. If that is working properly just enjoy the gift that you are giving that precious little one and don't worry about the scale! By the way stress can cause slow weight loss also. Good Luck and Enjoy!!
I love being a new mommy again.  My little Jake (well not so little - 17.5 lbs and 29 inches long at almost 4 mos....LOL)...he is the most wonderful baby.  Sweet as pie.
He is always so so happy.

My DD is such an amazing big sister too...she adores him.

I'm so happy for you.  Words just can't explain how much joy I have that you finally have been able to experience this....

When is your due date?
I haven't been 110 since hs!  how are you so little? i try to stay fit and i still look little but i got a ghetto booty always have
I'm only 5'3"...I have one of those booties too...LOL.   It sticks out.  Very round....LOL
I look like I should be in a rap video.

I don't know.  My heaviest was 120 and that was in 2006 when I kept having miscarriages.  I think it was hormones and my body all screwed up...and depression.

I don't do anything really....in fact I'm eating a big bag of cheetos right now....LOL.
It's genetics, really...I don't even work out.
Except for chasing a 3 yr old, a dog, 2 cats, a husband and a newborn.
My other thought is maybe a tape worm...LOL
yea i'm only 5'  i've always had booty and who can have a booty without legs i'm no stick never have been.  But i've always had a little waste, and no boobs.  my boobs grew after hs go figure! and no they are like a C because of milk! lol i still look little but i have a little pouch of skin and a line from my bra in my back!  i guess i need to do cardio.  YUCK!  i'll do crunches and leg lifts all day but I hate running!
Wish I had the boobs.  Even when they are swollen with milk...I'm only in maybe a B cup...and that is pushing it....LOL

All I want to know is how to get rid of the flabby skin.  My little guy stretched me out so bad.  It's just hanging there.  And my abs are so tight under it.

Dr says there is nothing I can do...but I don't believe her...she's lying, I know it.
lol damn liars!!  did you get any marks?  i was so shocked when they came on my butt more so the my belly!  very strange.  i'd rather have my little boobs and a toned back i miss my body :(  ds was so worth it  but i want to feel sexy again
I had a baby girl 3 weeks ago, I gained 30 pounds during my pregnancy and I just lost 10 pounds so far. My baby was 8 lb, so I do not  know why I lost so little. I am breastfeeding and baby seems to gain wait. I can not control my diet , since i am still so tierd that I can not concentrate on my diet.
I am very amazed by people who say they did it so fast. please tell me how you did it? and is there any hope for me?