Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Breast Implants and breast feeding

Hello all...I don't normally post here but you all seem so helpful I though maybe someone might be able to give me some insight. I have breast implants and I plan to breast feed my baby when he/she gets here. However I know it it much harder and there is a chance you can not with implants esp. if they are over the muscle (which mine are). I was wondering if anyone had any positive experiences with this where they were able to breast feed and produce an adequate supply of milk. I really hate the thought of not being able to breast feed because of this. Thanks for the input!
5 Responses
142722 tn?1281537216
I also have breast implants and plan to breast feed but mine are under the muscle.  They were inserted under my breast - that is where my scar is.  My dr. told me that I should be ok.  I think if the milk ducts were cut, you should be ok.  If you don't get many responses here go to the  Cosmetic Surgery forum where the dr will post to your question.  I posted the same question and he posted back.  That will be a good place.  My concern is that my boobs won't look at good as they do now :-)  Mine are only 4 years old and 5000 is a lot of money to be doing it again.
169867 tn?1327602254
I also have implants and mine are over the muscle.
My midwife said I should still be able to breastfeed but may have to top
up with formula as it is possible I may have a  reduced milk supply.
I think it's one of those things we have to try & see how we go as everyone's different and it depends if anything was damaged at your operation.

Ruth xx
246850 tn?1246163948
hope this helps a little.
Thanks again!
Have ( and love them) under the muscles and had no problems w/ feeding or supply
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.