Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Breast milk storage questions...

Breast feeding has been going really well for Jordana and me. I have been able to make enough milk for her and plenty for storing for later use as well...I was wondering about storage...How long can breast milk be stored on the counter? in the fridge? in the freezer? How long is it good for once it has been thawed? I honestly can't remember from a few years back..Thanks to all, and I hope all the Dec. Mommies/babies are well, and for those left to go, hang in there, your babies will be in your arms before you know it! Hope all is well~bops
At room temp it can be stored for 6-8 hours.  In the fridge it can be stored up to 5 days.  In a freezer that has a seperate door than the fridge it is good for 3-6 months, and in a deep freeze it is good for 6-12 months.  I always make sure to smell it first before using, even within these guidelines.  Sometimes when it comes out of the freezer, it has a soapy smell, that is normal.  But if it smells sour, I know its bad.  I have used storage containers that have a lid, and I also use the lansinoh storage bags.  Oh, and after thawed, you should use it within 24 hours.  I got my info from the CDC website on how to handle breastmilk.  I think the info is also on the package my storage bags came in, so you could always look there!  I had a hard time remembering the guidelines too...even though its only been a couple of years!  Hope this helps...take care!
Ditto to above! :)
Thank you so much for the quick response!
:)
Pretty quick response yourself, there, Bops! :) Are you SURE  you have a new baby at home? Max wouldn't allow for 2 seconds on the computer when he was less than a week old! lol
As above, but if you want to freeze it do it within 12 hours. I found any that I had left 24 hours or more was a bit sour smelling when it was defrosted even though it seemed fine when I froze it. Also when using frozen milk use that within 24 hours of defrosting. Sam always refused milk that wasn't quite right so I didn't have to rely entirely on my nose!!
Fresh milk can be put back in the fridge if baby doesn't finish the whole feed if it will be used within 12 hours, previously frozen milk can be put back in the fridge too if a feed isn't finished but use it up within 4-6 hours.
I followed these guidelines with both my boys and they did just fine