Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Breast pumps

Hi ladies. I am trying my best to start registering for baby stuff (almost 23 wks, 1st baby)and I'm having the worst time...as I dont have kids already and really have never been around babies much. I am trying to pick out a breast pump and the range is so big in price and function...I'm looking for advice from some experienced moms on manual vs. automatics, what brands (i.e. are those $400 ones a must have and worh it, or will something less expensive be just as good). I mean, you could go bankrupt trying to get all of this stuff! Thanks in advance for your help.
Do you plan to go back to work and still breastfeed by pumping? How often do you think you will pump?
Are you going to be a SAHM??
I am a stay at home mom and I never pump.........EVER!!!!! My son is 8 months old now but from about 4 months on I wasn't able to pump, it just wouldn't come out for me.......But he wouldn't and won't take a bottle anyway so it didn't matter much.
Would have been nice in the earlier days to let someone else feed for a change (pumped milk) but it didn't work out. Then again, if they fed him so I could sleep I would have had to get up to pump anyway........can't miss a feeding or your milk supply will suffer......
The hospital gave me a medela.....it is the hand pump but it also attaches to the electric machine. When my son was in NICU for the first 4 days of his life (I wasn't allowed to feed him) I used the electric machine just to get my milk supply going.
(I did not buy one, I used the one at the hospital and the one at the Ronald McDonald House where we stayed)
I would have wasted my money big time if I had bought an electric pump.
However, if you are going to be working and pumping regularly then probably a hospital grade is what you will be wanting and they are expensive. I've heard that you can rent them from certain hospitals though.........
I'm sure someone else will have some advice for you........
Best of luck,
Vikki
Hi there! I know how you feel-I remember feeling ovewhelmed with the selection of breast pumps when I was pregnant with #1. There are other options other than purchasing, too. Most drugstores rent the electric ones, and then you just need to buy the accompanying supplies.
Another thing you may want to consider-holding off until you have spent a little bit of time breastfeeding your baby. For one, you may do fine without a pump, or, you may decide to stop breastfeeding. I was VERY motivated to breastfeed, and no amount of pumping worked out our issues:)
However, don't let me discourage you! I bet there are lots of ladies on this board with feedback to share on the different pumps out there.
Good luck!
I am first timer too and bought a breastpump from EBAY, brand new Medela for about 200 from mothers milk breastfeeding. I used a manual one from the hospital and hated it. I do like the electric one, i should use it more than i do.
good luck!
I used and loved the Medela breast pumps. Gentle and really nice quality. My insurance completely paid for one....so I would look into that if i were you.
I bought one at Walmart. It is electic and cost about $40. It works really good. My son will only nurse off of one side, so I pump the other side to bottle feed him. I also used a manual and it worked but made my arm hurt from having to manually pump it. I think it depends on how easy your milk comes out. My sister in law could not get much to come out with the pump I use, so I think it really depends on the mom.
Mandi
Thanks for your help. I will be a SAHM for a while at least; however I didn't want DH to miss out on feeding her. Also, I think I would be uncomfortable breastfeeding in public, and I hear if you have lots of milk you can pump and freeze it for several months at a time. I will check into renting and the medela's. Thanks again! Sarah