Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Breastfeeding and implants

I had breast implants done about four years ago, what effect will this have on breastfeeding, boobs are killing me already, am only early in pregnancy, 7wks 2 days, they are even more sensitive than they were before I had implants done when breastfeedng other two babies.  

Am afraid because since I had the implants done my boobs have been extra sensitive as it is for the last four years, I just put that down to the operation, but now I am really worried about how bad they are going to get, especially immediately after the birth of little one now! I am dreading it! Any advice?
i think it is kassimom that has implants and is nursing her little guy.
if i remember correctly her's were placed under the muscle and that is what she said made the difference.

hopefully she will come on later and be able to give you better help.
~nanci
HEre I am! :)

YEs I have implants as well and mine are under the muscle. If you had yours done above the muscle, my own surgeon told me your chances of being able to successfully nurse are about 50/50. Under the muscle your chances of nursing are the same as they are without implants at all because they don't disturb the mammary glands.

I am nursing my son with the implants and it is really no different than when I nursed my DD without.

The sensitivity you feel now is due to your early pregnancy.  Mine hurt like crazy until that magic second trimester hit.

When you begin nursing, your breasts will become engorged a few days after birth. DON"T WORRY!!! This is NOT capsulization! It is just your breasts filling with milk. It will be sore, but it is NOT because of your implants. Women WITHOUT implants get engorged as well and experience the same hardness you will.
Good for you for wanting to nurse!!  Big pat on the back! :)
Thanks guyz for all your advice.  I can't actually remember if mine are under the muscle or not, will have to go dig up the paperwork and have a look.  Have had two kids before I had the op, and was just wondering about this little one on the way.  Breasts have been extremely sensitive since the op which was done about 6 years ago now.  Cheers XX
I too have had implants after two children and I would like to know if breast feeding changes the shape, I am currently trying for a baby and would like to breast feed, but worry it will ruin what i paid for?
First I want to say that even if breastfeeding did "ruin what you paid for," I don't think you should not breastfeed for that reason. With that said, I found this on the internet: "if you have more children after augmentation you may need to have a lift or implant exchange for the breasts to look their best. You may wind up needing two procedures rather than one, since your breasts may continue to change their shape in a way you don't like."

I just found it on the internet so it may or may not be true.
Thankyou, I agree with you, I really will have a hard time resisting to breast feed so its unlikely i will resist, but at least i know that there could be changes! It also worries me that I have heard that it is considered dangerous for the baby and yet I have also heard it isnt, so I really dont know what would be best.
Well your best bet is to ask your doctor but I have read that is perfectly safe to breastfeed your child with implants. Like kassimom said, being able to breastfeed successfully could depend where the implants were put in. Good luck to you.
My implants are over the muscle with an under breast incision. I'm almost 35 weeks and this week starting leaking a bit which I think is a good sign. There is apparently no evidence to show any danger to the baby,  I've also read that under the breast scars are less likely to cause problems than implants put in with an areola scar, again, not sure how true that is.
I'll let you all know how I get on when bump is born :)

Ruth xx
My daughter is a week old today. I got my implants 3 years ago after nursing my son for 11 months without ANY problems. My implants are above the muscle with the incision being under the breast in the crease. The first day home from the hospital I decided my baby had colic. Hooked myself up to the pump and found that I wasn't producing nearly enough milk. Now today, my boobs are rock solid and lumpy and I have been feeding her ALL day. I really want to stick with it but I am in so much pain. I'm so disappointed in myself for altering my body before I was finished having babies! I don't know if this will help anyone else but it's helped me to vent. Wish me luck!
OMG!!!!!!!!! MY SON IS 8 WKS OLD...I HVE 3 OTHA CHLDREN THAT I HVE NURSED SUCCESFLLY 4 PRBABLY WHAT MST WLD SAY 2 LNG!! I HAD IMPLANTS BOUT 4 YRS AGO CUZ I THOUT I WAS DNE HAVN CHILDREN..I WAS SO CONCERND DURING MY PREGNANCY THAT I WLDNT B ABLE 2 NURSE CUZ OF THE IMPLANTS...MILK SUPPLY CME IN JST FINE N THEN CME ALL THE PRBLEMS...I AM STLL STICKN W IT BT IT HAS BEEN A REAL RUFF ROAD..MY NIPPLES R VERY SORE N CRACKD STILL!!!!!! I HVE A REAL BIG I GUESS WHAT UD CLL A HOLE N MY RIGHT NPPLE AND IT LEAKS CONSTANTLY..I HAVE HAD YEAST N MY NIPPLES THAT ME AND MY SON KEEP PASSN BACK N FORTH SO THAT IS PROBABLY CONTRBUTIN 2 ALOT OF MY PRBLEMS...IM STILL WEARIN SHIELDS N MY BRA SO MY BREAST CAN "BREATH" N AM HAVN 2 DO A SALT H20 RINSE AFTA EVERY FEEDN..EVEN THRU ALL OF THS I STLL HOPE N PRAY THAT IT WILL GET BETTA...I AM DETERMND NOT 2 GVE UP..I THNK HE IS HAVN A HARD X W THE LATCH CUZ OF MY IMPLANTS BUT THE FIRST MIN OF THE PAINFUL LATCH IS WORTH MY BABY GETTN THE BEST...KEEP AT IT IS WHAT I TELL MYSELF AND WHAT I SAY 2 EVERY1 THNKN THEY CANT DO IT..W THIS FLU SEASON I WLDNT GVE IT UP 4 NETHNG...I NO AT SUM POINT IT WILL B THE BOND I SO ENJOYD W MY OTHA CHLDREN..HPE THS WASNT DISCOURAGN 2 MOMS OUT THERE W IMPLANTS WNDERN IF THEY WILL B ABLE 2 NURSE..( U CAN DO IT)  BT WAS HELPFUL 2 MOMS OUT THERE GOIN THRU WHAT I AM SO THAT THEY NO THEY R NT ALONE CUZ OMG I FEEL ALONE!!!
Mine are under the musle as well but I could not breast feed and I am certain it is because of the implants because my milk came in with my daughter.  Now pregnant again, I wonder if I should even try