Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Breastfeeding mother kicked off plane, what would you do?

On 14 Nov, in VT, a mom who was breastfeeding child at 10 pm in 8th row of a 9 row plane was approached by a flight attendant who told her to put a blanket over the child's head.  The mother refused and the attendant had mom, baby and family removed off plane for being "offensive."  By VT and AZ law, breastfeeding is legal and specifically exempt from being declared "indecent" in all public places.  I wrote to the contact person of Freedom Airlines,
paul.skellon@mesa-air.com, because I think moms and babies everwhere should have their rights protected. Don't know if I can share that here but do think the issue is very relevant. I know many bf women who have been looked down upon and even asked to leave certain areas in different locations (malls, etc.) What is the world coming to?
Sorry, apparently I read an old article!! Ha,it happened a while ago.  Pregnancy hormones must be affecting my eyesight.
I double-checked again and am sorry to say it was indeed this year, just last week.  I must be losing my mind here.  No more small print for me! Sorry for confusion!
Here's an article:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_318154213.html
I don't understand, why wouldn't she just take the blanket. I would have just taken the blanket, actually I probably would have been using one anyway.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!  What is this world coming to when a mother can't even feed her child without someone judging her!?!  My son was breastfed and he would not have a blanket but over his head...he would fuss and cry and not eat so I had to come up with some pretty interesting ways to be discreet but I managed to feed him for 10 months without anyone offering me a blanket!I feel for this woman and I hope she fights this one until more people are aware of the laws in their state!
I was so mad when I read that article !! They don't ask bottle fed babies to be covered by a blanket,so why should a breastfed baby? As all breastfeeding moms know,your really not showing anything,your just feeding your baby.I've fed my baby in public before [mall] but never had anyone say anything.I would sue if I were her.
i dont know how i feel about this-i do plan on breastfeeding-i heard about this on the radio-some people refer to breastfeeding as a bodly function such as peeing, etc.  I know some people may feel weird if they see a women breastfeeding but dont look right.  I mean if people can watch porn like it seems everyone in this country does then whats wrong with a breast.  I do plan on breastfeeding but plan on using a blanket or something to cover up-but i do feel what they did was wrong....
Airplane blankets are seldom washed between flights (unless you're really lucky and get on the first flight where everything is still sealed in plastic). We have been given ones on flights that are crumpled and have hairs on them and god knows what else.  When people used to say women should breastfeed in the ladies room, a good reply was 'would you eat your lunch in the toilet?"  A good reply here might be "would you eat your lunch with a dirty blanket on your head?"  Anyway it was patently illegal to harass this woman by state law.
Yes it was illegal and discriminatory...however this "baby" was two years old!  I have no problem seeing mothers breastfeed their babies ( ages 1 day - 1 yr)in public with or without a blanket...Although I have never experienced it, I know I would feel very uncomfortable seeing a mother breastfeed her two year old toddler though.
i plan on breastfeeding (ok attempting too).  Don't you think she would have had her own blanket. It has been kinda cold lately.  I think it was just to make a point by not using it, which she has a right too.  But I know personally I wouldn't want some men staring at me, with my breast hanging out.  yikes creepy.  If I was her i would definitly get some free flights out of the whole ordeal or sue, that could have been an important flight they were taking.  We can go shoot up another country, but we can't look at a breast while it's being used as a feeding tool.  What happens if our world changes and everyone had to go back to breastfeeding or if some study came out that scared everyone away from formula, that would be a major up roar.  Sarsasium...Good thing our country is perfect and we will never have to worry about that kind of stuff happening. ;)
In my opinion, they should kick screaming toddlers off the plane.  Or issue them some sort of gag.  

That's what drives me crazy on a plane.
As you can see from my earlier post, I am in agreement with you I think I would be uncomfortable see someone breastfeeding a two year old.

The airline kicked them off the plane because she refused to place a cover over the child and herself.  But honestly if I was on that plane I would have preferred if she didn't breastfeed the toddler at all, but since she felt she had to I would have felt more comfortable if they were discrete and covered themselves.