Bronchiolitis

My child is 6 month old. I have a doubt. He is suffering from Bronchiolitis. My husband and my father in law are having problems like veezing and ashtma. Is there is a chance of heridity?
Bronchiolitis is a common illness of the respiratory tract caused by an infection that affects the tiny airways, called the bronchioles, that lead to the lungs. As these airways become inflamed, they swell and fill with mucus, making breathing difficult.

Bronchiolitis:

* most often affects infants and young children because their small airways can become blocked more easily than those of older kids or adults
    * typically occurs during the first 2 years of life, with peak occurrence at about 3 to 6 months of age
    * is more common in males, children who have not been breastfed, and those who live in crowded conditions

Day-care attendance and exposure to cigarette smoke also can increase the likelihood that an infant will develop bronchiolitis.

Although it's often a mild illness, some infants are at risk for a more severe disease that requires hospitalization. Conditions that increase the risk of severe bronchiolitis include prematurity, prior chronic heart or lung disease, and a weakened immune system due to illness or medications.

Kids who have had bronchiolitis may be more likely to develop asthma later in life, but it's unclear whether the illness causes or triggers asthma, or whether children who eventually develop asthma were simply more prone to developing bronchiolitis as infants. Studies are being done to clarify the relationship between bronchiolitis and the later development of asthma.

Bronchiolitis is usually caused by a viral infection, most commonly respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). RSV infections are responsible for more than half of all cases of bronchiolitis and are most widespread in the winter and early spring.

___________

It sounds like the relationship of bronchiolitis and asthma is still being studied.  In the meantime, I would work to ease the other factors, such as exposure to second-hand cigarette smoke, that he might be exposed to.  Good luck!
Thanks for giving the information regarding Branchiolitis. But my question is whether this is a heridity or not?
Some research suggests that certain infants are predisposed to get bronchiolitis when they get exposed to certain viruses because they lack a certain enzyme or something in their system.  If you want to call such a predisposition hereditary, apparently the current research would not argue with you.  But the material I've read also implies that this issue is not fully understood yet by medical science.
Thanks a lot. But my pediatric consultant told that there is more chance for heridity regarding this issue. so that i posted my query. Once again many thanks.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.