Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Can pregnancy symptoms fluctuate?

Hi eveyone. After being off BC for 4 ys, and trying really hard for 8 mo, my husband and I FINALLY got pregnant (starting wk 6). Because of some assymetrical cramping, they started doing HCG titers; on 10/5 131, on 10/7 239 (did not double). I had some spotting for a few days after the pap done on my first prenatl visit. This morning some of the symptoms I had a few days ago (VERY tender breasts, cramps, nausea) are gone/going away. I thought maybe the symptoms could fluctuate with when I would have had my normal period (would have ended today), as some people spot or bleed when they would have had thiers...but I'm starting to freak out. My next HCG isn't until Mon, 10/11. Should, for example, the breast tenderness/fullness only get worse and worse until the 2cnd trimester, or can it all fluctuate?
I am 5.5 weeks now and have found that my symptoms vary depending on the day and hour!  I am happy when the queasies don't reappear.  My breasts are sore, but I don't notice as much b/c I think I am adjusting to it. However, a complete absence of symptoms (not feeling pregnant any more) can be a bad sign.  Unfortunately, it seems that you will just have to wait for the next HCG test.  I've found that the waiting process can be heartbreaking and stressful.  I've had three blood tests now (all doubling), but still worry.  I have an u/s for 10/15 at 6.5 weeks, has you dr. scheduled one for you?  That is the best gauge of the pg.
They will do the ultrasound when/if my HCG levels reach 1500, which, if all goes well should be at the end of net week.
I am just a few days behind you, my levels were at 986 on Wednesday (5 weeks 2 days).  But not everyone's increases at the same speed.  The research I've seen suggests that the higher the HCG levels the more likely it is that they will see something on u/s.  Do you have any spotting or bleeding?
I wil hope for the best for you but I will share my experience with you. I have had three miscarriages and mine would start with a little pink blood then the cramps would start followed by red blood. With my first miscarriage which the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks even though I miscarried around 10 weeks we didn't check HCG levels. With my next two m/'s we started to measure my HCG level and yes they too didn't double - they didn't drop but they weren't going up by much. It's usually not a good sign but you never know. When I got pregnant for the fourth time the doctor started me on hormone(HCG) injections his thought was I wasn't producing enough of the progesterone needed to support a pregnancy since they were all lost around 6 weeks measurement. But at the same time we started these injections I also refused to have a pap smear! Just because with two of the miscarriages it was within days of having it I started to spot. So when you said that it made me think about what I went through. When I told my doctor why I didn't want to have the pap she said I wasn't the first patient to feel that way and she understood so I didn't have one with my fourth pregnancy until weeks after I delivered my daughter!!! Now I'm sure it was the injections I was taking that helped this pregnancy but it's still in the back of my mind having a pap done early on. So I am currently pregnant now with my second child and again I refused the pap smear but I went a head and had it done at 20weeks because the doctor reassured me my changes of miscarry at 20weeks was slim. But I just don't think it's good being up there disturbing things so early in the pregnancy and of course with my miscarriage history I was not to have sex or workout until I was 3 1/2 months along with both pregnancies. Try to stay positive I will be thinking of you - your not alone I know exactly how you are feeling right now...it's a waiting game and that's so hard. I swore I wasn't going to be able to have babies and I am now 25weeks pregnant with my second.....it will happen...
As far as symptoms go, mine fluctuate also. im almost 9 wks and I had the same question for the girls. For 2 weeks straight i had all the symptoms then one day i woke up and they were gone. Now there back!!!! Good luck with everything!
Just wanted to ask . . . I am on my fourth pg this year, 3 mc.  The dr. has not said anything about not having sex during the first trimester, but one of the nurses said some couples abstain.  I am on heparin (high ACA), progesterone and baby aspirin.  We have mostly abstained, but you always just wonder (or at least I do)?  What did your dr. say?