Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Can't hear heartbeat at week 11????

We went for our 2nd prenatal visit yesterday with the anticipation that we would hear our little baby's hearbeat for the first time.  The doctor had a really rough time finding it with the doppler.  When she did it was very very faint.  She said that the baby was moving around alot in there.  She then did an ultrasound to assure us that everything was ok.  We saw the heartbeating on the ultrasound and saw him moving but I was still a little upset.

Is it normal not to hear it at this stage, at 11 wks?  The doctor did say that there was a good chance we wouldn't hear it, but still I couldn't help but to get nervous.  Plus I was so geared up to hear it and now I have to wait another month to try again!  Has anyone else had this experience before?
I had exactly the same experience. The Dr. could hear it, but not that well, and I couldn't hear it at all. He did an u/s to show that everything was ok. Baby looked great and wiggled a lot. I was 11 weeks that day.
My dr said we will try to hear the heartbeat at your next appt. (12weeks) as long as you promise you won't freak out if we can't get it on the doppler yet. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Did he tell you what the heartrate was by the sono?
No, that's the thing.  I have yet to have the her tell me what the heartrate is.  The only thing she's said both times is it looks strong.
I went at 13 weeks and couldn't hear the hb either.  Got really nervous.  Dr. did a u/s and we saw a very healthy and active baby jumping and kicking all over the place.  I wouldn't be worried about it.  I'm going back a 17wks to try again.  He said i probably should be able to hear it by then.  My Dr. hasn't given me a heartrate either.  But i'm sure that if there was anything to worry about he would have told me.  He doesn't hide things or sugar coat them.  So when he tells me everythign's ok...I believe him.  Good luck.  And sticky baby dust to you!
Sometimes it takes a little longer to hear it by the doppler. Usually its from 12 - 14 wks to hear it really good on the doppler. Don't worry about it, If you saw your baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound then everything is ok. (I worked with an ob/gyn for a while)
my dr refused to even try at that point. I had asked and he said it was too early (I think I was 12 weeks). I only got to hear by baby's heartbeat for the first time this past monday (I am 17w1d now). I have had 2 ultrasounds so far but the machines that they use don't have audio on them so we didn't get to hear the heartbeat although we saw it on the screen.