A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
5221069 tn?1366618397

Chemical pregnancy: was it my fault?

I've just experienced a chemical pregnancy after a fresh ivf cycle. In the past, I have had anorexia nervosa for 17 years,(very severe case, BMI of 10 for a long time) and have been very healthy for the past two years (I am 30). I was amazed when my first IVF cycle, I got 8 eggs, 5 of which became beautiful embryos.
One of these I had transferred at day 2, a 5 cell. I have 4 embryos left which are frozen.
My first beta hcg test showed, at 14dpt, a level of 40, which I was told was low, but still positive. They said they would have to monitor it closely because it was low to start. The day prior to the blood test, I hadn't eaten very much at all, feeling so terrified and frightened about getting a negative result.
When I spoke to the nurse and she told me I was pregnant the next day, I was over the moon, totally unable to believe it had happened.
However 3 days later, my hcg had dropped to 9, and I miscarried.
Did I cause my miscarriage from not eating much on the day before the blood test? I am absolutely wracked with guilt because I feel I killed my embryo, which was doing it's best to establish a home in me. Maybe it died the day before the blood test because of me.
I'm struggling so much with this miscarriage because of this.
Please help. I can't come to terms with this.
1 Responses
4484425 tn?1384228334
I'm not a doctor but I honestly don't think that in anyway you not eating much for one day caused you to miscarry. Miscarriages happen all the time to perfectly healthy women. They usually happen because there is something wrong with the embryo. Try not to beat yourself up over this as I'm sure you did nothing to cause this.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.