Childcare Price

My fiance's boss just had twins a week or so ago and they were premees so they wont be out of the hospital for another month or so but she asked me if I was interested in nannying for her.  Im currently nannying now but am not being paied what I'm really worth and in the town I live in now child care is cheaper than in the town that I am moving to in May.  I called two child centers to just get an idea on prices and one center was $1220 per month, per child and the other was $1288 per month per child.  I would love to know what you pay your childcare providor and where you live just so I can get an idea.  The rates I got just seemed so expensive.  What would you be willing to pay a nanny or any information about this would be wonderful!  Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Where we live here in FL rates go anywhere from $300-600 a week.  Each place varies.  I know one place that includes lunch and they watch them from 9-2 up to 5 days a week and it's around $600.  The other place is about $300 a week and doesn't include lunch but is anywhere from 1-5 days a week depending on what your needs are.  
I used to be a nanny about a year and a half ago and I got paid $300 a week without taxes being taken out, so pretty much under the table, and if I spent the night on a week night or weekend they would pay me an extra $200-300 even if it was just one night.  I only watched them when they got home from school say around 2:30 til about 6 sometimes 7 and sometimes only watching them twice a week. Just depended on their dad's schedule.  I took them around town to football practice and what not, but you on the other hand won't be doing those types of things.  I think the $1200 a month price is CRAZY!!!!! I know I got paid $1200 but that included gas and food for them and if we went to a movie or anything outside of the home...I paid for it.  I took them to practice every day and to their friends houses to play and carried them wherever they wanted to go. So it all depends on you;)
Helpful - 0
I am certified in CPR and First Aid and have been watching kiddos since I was 14.  I watched twins since they were 2 weeks almost every night through high school and I am currently watching twins that are now ten months(today) and I have thought them some sign language and am very very good at what I do.  I come very highly reccomended and really love kids so experience is not at all my worry!  Thank you everyone, it was interesting to see what the going rate is.
Helpful - 0
Here in Florida it is 200 a week for an infant.  It would have been 50 per week for the before and after school program for my 5 year old.  Thats 1000/month.  I quit my job to stay home because it doesn't make sense for me to pay someone that much money.  Now I bartend once a week and my husband picks up overtime.  Its crazy how much daycare is.  
Helpful - 0
I think your rate will have to reflect your experience and training.  If you are not trained in CPR, etc,. I would honestly figure you more of a home sitter and pay accordingly.  I am really lucky too and only pay $75 / week per kid, she provides meals, I bring formula, diapers, etc.  Not really sure on nannies and how they work, usually they come from an agency though and are fully trained and I think they do domestic help as well.  I also would be wary of your age, no offense, as I also babysat a ton through Jr. high and high school, but at 17, would not figure you to have to experience and background to charge as much as some are suggesting.  Just a thought and not to be mean.  I would look into getting the qualifications it takes to be a nanny, and go from there.  My home daycare provider works with my boys too, Carson knew his ABC's and was singing the song by 1, as best he can.  He was counting pretty high early on, knows some Spanish and sign language, and can write his letters and numbers well, including his name, he's 4.  Even though she does all of this, we go to her house, she is certified, but considered daycare.  Look into what you need to do.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
tiredbuthappy

i feel the same way as you about the in home daycare.  the only way i would do it was if i knew the person or i knew someone well who was already using them.  it is just too scary to think about what someone could get away with in the privacy of their own home.  

but i won't go to large chain daycares either.  all they care about is the bottom $$$.  I visited one. ithought it would be good because there was a waiting list and rated 3 stars.  well when i went there, they only showed me the infant room, they had no swings, bouncers or walkers so all the kids were bored and crying.  it doesn't cost that much to invest in some freaking swings for the little babies. it was so sad!!

i found out the star rating has nothing to do with how good the center is. the stars indicate the level of training required.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much ladies, I appreciate all of the opinions, it was really interesting to see what is paied for childcare.  I starting watching kiddos at 14 and that was twins that were 2 weeks so I have had a lot of experiance and I love the kids!  I  was put into a home daycare when I was 6 weeks old and 18 years later she is still like my second mom and we talk and get together weekly, children form a great bond with those who care for them, so you have to make sure that that person is wonderful.  I just saw on the news the last two days there was a "nanny" who was watching a ladies twins and they installed a nanny cam and the lady had been throwing her kids around and dropping them and all sorts of stuff, it was so awful to see.  You can just never be to safe!  Thanks again ladies!
Helpful - 0
I pay $15/hr for my nanny to care for my twins, which I think is actually very reasonable.   I only have care 3 days/wk, but I guess that rate would come out to $600/wk.  I live in a major city on the east coast.  

My twins were preemies as well, but now that they are 8 mo old, the preemie thing is less of an issue.  I think caring for twins (as infants) is more demanding than caring for 2 children that are different ages, so I think it warrants paying a bit more.  I researched rates by talking to others and browsing nannies on sittercity and craigslist.  From what I saw, an experienced nanny (at least 3-5 years) was $14$-20+/hr (even for just 1 child).  

Helpful - 0
It IS scary to leave your child with ANYONE. That's why you have to investigate, get referrals and go with your gut instinct. Follow up on those referrals! You'll learn a lot from other parents who have used that provider.
As to all the paperwork, it's required by the state. The sign in/out paper isn't necessary but suggested.
Best wishes on the childcare issue.
Helpful - 0
I honestly never thought i would go with in-home because i felt that the despite the revolving door staff, at least there was someone to look out for the person watching your child. I know several daycare providers who were fired because of incompetence and then went on to be nannies. very scary to me. at least in the center, when the occasional incompetent person came through, the rest of us stayed on top of her, made sure she was never alone, reported her actions to the director, etc... I just thought i would never trust a single person that i didn't know to look after my precious little girl. this was a tough decision for me, but i am pretty sure it was the right one. she is licensed with the state, and has many references she wants us to call before we start her. i just get a good feeling from her.

i am very disappointed with where my daughter had been enrolled. it's a huge nation-wide chain, and i thought (wrongly) that since they had to report to a corporation, they would have strict standards. i plan on filing a report with the county and reporting the center to the corporation.
Helpful - 0
I found her through our Daycare Council. They have a list of all of the registered daycare providers. We were so lucky to find her. She is amazing. She loves her paperwork though. We are constantly filling out paperwork. DS has to be signed in and out at the end of the day and if anyone other then DH or I pick him up the other person has to show ID. Its crazy but I am so glad that she is so thorough. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Helpful - 0
As an in-home daycare provider, I have just as much training as I would need to work in a daycare facility. I had to go through a lot to get licensed. I had to take the training classes and CPR and First Aid. I had to get zoning to run a business in my home. I had to get a background check (also my husband and son because he was over 18). I had to get my home inspected, and I have to maintain at least 15 hours training (class time) a year to keep my license. I have to keep current on my CPR and First Aid as well. If I want to watch more children than the standard 6, then I have to take more classes and get a different license. There are different licenses I can apply for, some require a two year college degree if I want to go that route. I really don't like it when people assume we don't have as much training as daycare providers in a daycare facility. I especially don't like it when we are called babysitters. We are NOT babysitters. My teenage daughter is a babysitter. Yes, there are some bad daycare providers out there who shouldn't be in the business but they're in the home business AND the facilities. There are also some wonderful daycare providers who love children and this is their life-calling. You just have to be careful and choosy. They're out there.

K1990, it sounds like a great job opportunity and you sound like a wonderful, caring nanny. I think the $50 a day per child is certainly appropriate in this situation. I wish you the best.
April
Helpful - 0
Tiredbuthappy~ I would never send my child to a center just because nothing is consistant, they don't get near as much one on one and every center I have done to has just looked horrible but I have only been in childcare centers that are part of a chain.  Where do you live?  
Helpful - 0
my was daughter was in a large chain daycare until TODAY. i am so fed up that i am pulling her. i was paying $360/week for inconsistant staffing and poor care. I loved one of her teachers, but she was moved to another class. her other teacher is leaving on maternity leave next week. the new teacher is completely incompetent and i refuse to leave my daughter alone with her.

we're putting her in an in-home center. they charge $65/day for an infant and $55/day for a child over 12 months. we will be saving money in addition to providing her with consistant care. i never thought i would go in-home. i myself have worked in a large daycare and THOUGHT it had many benefits. i think it is just this particular chain.
Helpful - 0
TankerChic~ I think that Child Centers should be charging the least, then home daycare, and last nannies just because you really do get more out of home daycares than you do centers and more out of nannies than home daycare.  But it never ends up that way and centers are usually the highest and I nanny now for twins and I only get $25 a day per child which isn't enough but this family couldn't afford more and I was only going to help them out for like 6 months, so I just did it anyway.  I should have gotten $35 a day where I live now and Boulder is a lot more expensive... So I'm not sure what I'll do exactly.
Helpful - 0
Sorry and that would be full time, I think from 7 to 5 or 5:30, five days a week.  
Helpful - 0
Here where I live it is around $130 to $170 a week for daycare facilities.  Home daycare is usually less because they don't have as many training requirements, usually around $100 to $125 a week but some charge more like $140 wk.  
Helpful - 0
I live in Greeley Colorado now but I'm moving to Boulder in May so there wouldn't be much of a commute.  My fiance said that she makes six figures and her husband is a lawyer, so I assume they have plenty of money.  Where do I call to figure out the going rate?  I have no idea why the three places in Boulder I called was $1200 a week and I even called back to double check.  I have NO idea, because that is outragious!  I think that I will charge $50 a day per child.  The second child is just as much work as the first and twins is even harder.  I am highly recommended and am good at what I do, so I really don't think that $50 a day per child is asking too much.  I called a daycare center in Louisville which is the town that she lives in which is about 15 minutes from Boulder and their rate was $280 a week, per child.  So that is $56 a day so even at $50 a day she is still getting a deal.  I also called the University's childcare center and they charge $1100 a month per child so that is $55 a day so...  I think that $50 or even $55 isn't bad according to the going rate.  But I would love to know where I can call to find the going rate.
Helpful - 0
K1990 - most daycare centers charge $800-$1200/month.  Here is a website with a daycare center in Boulder CO that charges $840/month for 3 years and under - just click on "center care", "locations and costs", "take a break.....", "under 3...".  This seems more in par with typical costs .  Many people don't make 60k a year let alone spend that amount on child care!

********
Helpful - 0
K1990, I believe you live in Colorado just like me, corect? I am a lisenced in-home daycare provider and the going rate where I live is between $125-150 a week fulltime and $25-35 for daily rate. I charge $140 per child per week for children 0-3 and $125 per child per week for 3 and up. I also have an hourly rate of $5 an hour. For the daily rate, I charge $35 a day. I only use that if they're only coming a couple of times a week. If it's between 40-50 hours a week, I charge the full time rate.
You can call the licensing services in your area and ask what the going rate is there. I do believe as a nanny, you can get a little more because they usually want you to do some light housekeeping along with the child care.
Did you say they live in Boulder? Then the rate would be higher there. If you're commuting a long ways then you have gas to think of too. I don't think it's unreasonable to charge $40-$50 a day per child. Will it be full time? If so, and you want to be nice, you can give a break for the second child. That's what I do. So maybe the $40 a day? That would be $200 a week per child. It's totally up to you and what you guys can agree on. If they're wealthy people, they may not have a problem paying extra for good care. You can ask them what they are wanting or willing to pay. It's a good idea to sit down with them and discuss all that they will expect out of you.
I'm not sure how it works with nannies but I have a contract that I have the parents sign. I give them a two week trial period too where either one of us can back out with no penalties if we don't think we're a good fit. After the two weeks, we have to have a two week notice. I also put in my contract any charges that will entail should they be late with payment or a check bounces. Also, if a check bounces they have to pay by cash from then out. And I reserve the right to stop childcare if they are constantly late or late paying. It's just to protect you, really. But again, I don't know how it works being a nanny.
It sounds like a good deal, though! I wish you the best with it! I hope it all works out for you. Take care.
Helpful - 0
how did you find your daycare provider? just curious...
Helpful - 0
WOW. I live in NY and I must have gotten really lucky with my daycare provider. SHE IS AWESOME. She is like a grandmother to my kids. She charges $120 a week for my newborn daughter and like $15 a week for my son (who is 9 and VERY VERY well behaved-he actually helps out with the other kids) I could NEVER imagine paying $1200 a week. WHO CAN AFFORD THAT? Seriously, that is insane.
Helpful - 0
Nannys should be paid the most because it is totaly at your convinence.  I have been teaching the twins I watch now sign language since I got them at 3 months and try and do all I can with them, so I do fell like I go above and beyond and I have a lot of experiance with twins... At this point it will probably be between $40 and $50 a day per child because that seems to be the going rate plus some but I'm not going to charge any more than that because that is way too much!
Helpful - 0
I live in Michigan (not in Metro Detroit) and I pay $225/wk.  That is the total for 2 kids.  We recently moved and I was paying $190/wk.  These are both licensed in-home daycares.  I believe nannies get paid more, even though a nanny doesn't provide any food, but I never checked into nanny pricing.
Helpful - 0
tmv
Here a home sitter gets around $30/day for 1 child. However if there are 2 or more in the same family, you're lucky to get 1/2 of that for the 2nd or 3rd child. The pricier places here are more than just a daycare, they intervene with state licensed teachers and a lot of enfases on academics.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.