Children's Health

My daughter's fingernail is coming off.  She is eight years old and has not been sick or anything.  It is hurting her and I have put bandaids on it but I don't really know what to do about it. Is there something specific I should do and will it grow back?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's worth going into the pediatrician and getting it checked out. It could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency or something as serious as a systemic disease. Keep us updated!
Helpful - 0
What happened to cause the nail to come off. Depending what caused this to begin with then the nail will grow back.
Helpful - 0
Did she hit it with something really hard, like a closing door? I had that happen to my, my nail became dark then started to fall off and a new nail was growing underneath it, it took a couple of months for this whole process, ask her to try to remember if she hit it with something, if that's the case then nothing to worry it will grow back.
Helpful - 0
You can give her a regular peanut butter intake roughly a 1/2 cup a day for a week or so. The raw slow releasing protein will expedite nail (& hair) growth. This recommendation is based on her having damaged the nail in some way. Should it come to be that there was no trauma to the nail then I would seek MD opinion.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.