Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Constipation

Hi again.  This is a hard subject for me to discuss.  I know alot of women go through it during pregnancy.  I have tried everything.  The doctor suggested Milk of Mag.  EEEEWWWW.  I cannot stand the taste.  Is there anything else that I can do?
have you tried karo syrup??  that's what i used to have to give my son when he was a baby.
ask your doctors nurse..hehehe  i know there is a mild laxative that you can take but it has to be a spacific one that advertises something like ocs shoot i'm sorry i can't remember other than it was 3 letters that didn't make a word.
~nanci
My doctor had said it was okay to take an over the counter mild laxative. And a stool softener was okay too. I used to drink a lot of water and that helped too. Good luck.
They now make Milk of Mag in a pill form, no more yucky liquid : ) You cannot take anything that is a stimulant (such as ex-lax) as dependence can occur with regular use. Metamucil also comes in a pill form as well as wafers and powder. Benefiber is another way to help get things going, in fact we used benefiber for years in the nursing home to help our patients before jumping right into Milk of Mag or more extreme measures.

Always talk to your doctor before taking anything, no matter how mild it may seem.

Andrea
You can also take Colace twice a day if needed.

It is a stool softener, as opposed to a laxative.  Drink plenty of water with it.  

And, of course, Metamucil as Andrea suggested.
I would first try to make it a point to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. If it helps, get a slip of paper and make a tally every time you finish one to make sure you are drinking that much.

Also, make it a point to eat LOTS of fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh is best because of it's higher fiber content. Every time you eat a meal or snack, just add an apple or another easy fruit or veggie to your plate. (Another bonus is baby is getting great nutrients!)

And when things get really hard (sorry, bad pun) I mix a a little fiber (Konisyl is what I use, but Metamucil, Benefiber...they all work) in my morning OJ and things get moving within a couple of hours. Just be sure to drink LOTS of water right after or the fiber can make your constipation worse. Oh and I NEVER use as much as the label says. I only stir in enough so that I don't absolutely gag drinking it down.
Have you tried prune juice? I give warm prune juice to my daughter & it works for her.
WARM prune juice? EEWWWWWWWWW....LOL

I give prune juice to my DD as well, chilled though. She calls it magic grow juice. I give it to her when she gets a little irregular or has what she calls "bad poo poo". (when it hurts coming out)
Herblax is the best remedy for constipation take it at 8 pm in morning you have result http://thehealthyway.myshaklee.com/us/en/shop/healthysolutions/digestive/product-_p_herb-lax_p_