Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Could I be pregnant?

OK I know it's probably not possible. But I was late by about 4 days when I had sex. Then I think I got what I thought was my late period about 5 days later. It was lighter than usual I think, and I have read that it's possible to bleed in the early stages of pregnancy. I know it's highly unlikely to get pregnant when you're on your period, but it is possible. And I was just wondering if any of this could mean I'm pregnant.
Hi there,
You are pretty much correct when it comes to pregnancy and the time frames for it.  In a typical cycle of 28 days, most women ovulate near day 14 and then have their periods 14 days after that.  Your fertility window is about 12-36 hours when you are ovulating and that's being generous.  The reason it is possible to get pregnant near a period for some is because their Luteal phase is probably extremely short (the period of time after you ovulate to the time you get your period.)  So, unless you know that your Luteal Phase is unusually short, I wouldn't worry too much.  With respect to implantation bleeding - not everyone gets this.  In both of my pregnancies, I never had it.  Also, it is usually defined as spotting, light bleeding, pink, brown or red discharge, mucosy discharge or any combination of those.  But, as I mentioned I think many many women do not get implantation bleeding.  It's more or less explained to people so that if they do experience it they don't think they are having a miscarriage, and that it is quite normal.  Now having said all that, if you experience any bleeding and are also having cramping - that is a potential sign of a miscarriage or chemical pregnancy.  I would suggest that you purchase early detection pregnancy tests, and if you think you are at least 14 days past when you may have ovulated, test.  If you are still unsure at that point, see a doctor and ask for a beta hCG blood pregnancy test.  That can definitively tell you if you are pregnant, so long as enough time has passed that you actually did implant.  Otherwise both types of tests are insignificant because you do not produce hCG hormone until after implantation.
Please let me know how it goes for you if you can.
In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Down syndrome Community Leader
& Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
hi miranda,

im having a similar problem. im having symtoms that im going to strt my period but im 2 days late. sore breast, discharge a clear discharge comes out instead of blood.
irritable, any advice

I Had my last period on April 8 and around May 8 i was having a feeling that my periods were coming but they didn't and my doctor told me around May 5th that my progesterone level is high so i should be getting period any day but i didn't so on wed i started Medroxyprogesterone and i have taken 4 dose of 10mg and still no period but i keep having the feeling that i will get it but not as strong as May 8 and today is May 16 and still no period and clear discharge just like before or after period and i have been sleeping with my partner so is there any chance i could be pregnant.