Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Could I be pregnant?

I just turned 44 and have 4 children aged 22, 20, 19 and13. The first day of my last period was 8/6/06. I had unprotected sex 8/13/06. My periods are very regular (every 28 days). On day 22 I started very ligt spotting (only when I wipe) and mild cramping. On Thursday day 24 it stopped. I have never experienced anything like this in my previous pregnancys. I took an HPT 8/30/06 it was BFN. Took another one today and it was BFN. Could I be pregnant? Have I taken test to early. My period is due to start tomorrow 9/3/06.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
6 Responses
152590 tn?1208146144
They say that you need to wait till your period is late, but I took mine on 8/3 and wasn't supposed to get period till 8/9 and I got a positive on a Clear blue and easy, the First response was neg. until 8/9.  I guess every women is different, and every pregnancy different.  So I would wait and test in a couple of days. Good luck with which ever way your wanting it to go.
Which test did you take first? I'm not 4 AF til 9/7, but I wanna test so bad. Which test do you think would be my best bet? I hear that FR is the most sensitive, but on webwomb.com they claim that their test can tell you 6dpo (wow!) what HPT is most reliable with early detection?
152590 tn?1208146144
I posted to you in one of the messages above, but for this question I took a cheapy first and it was positve but the clear blue and easy doesn't give you a line or a plus, it is digital and it says either "Pregnant" or "not pregnant" and mine said pregnant so there is no guessing if it's a yes or no, the line for the first response was so faint that you could only see it holding it up to the light, and staring for a few minutes.  So I would say if you want a definite yes or no I would use it.  It depends on you HCG level.  I think they are both close to the same thing.  They are expensive, but it's worth it. Good luck.
Thanks
First let me say that my mom had a baby at 44 without even trying. Actually, he made it through a condom, and spermicide. It is very possible that you are pregnant. On the other hand, you may also be peri-menopausal, and this could cause spotting, and sudden changes in your cycle too. I say wait 3-4 days, and test again. If you still aren't sure, then a blood test would be a good idea. Hope you get what you want.
Thanks for all your comments.  I'll try again in a week or so and if I'm still negative I'll go to my doctor and check out the peri-menopausal thing. That is what I thought it was initially but when i went on the internet it kept bringing up info on implantion bleeding. Maybe I just wanted to be pregnant.
Thanks again.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.