Croup?

We had my 21 month old son to the clinic today b/c he was coughing and after an X-ray (to rule out pneumonia) and nebulizer treatment - we were sent home with steriods and more nebulizer.  He never has had the 'seal bark' cough but had been consistently coughing all day.  The coughing started at 4am!  Now he's sleeping peacefully and hopefully will stay that way.  Has anyone out there had a little one with croup?  I'm wondering how long it'll last for...

Thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son had croup and it didn't last any longer than the typical few days of a cold.  The nebulizer treatments really help.  So does sitting them in steamy bathroom.  Occasionally he starts getting that barking cough and we just do a few breathing treatments and it goes away.  I have a nebulizer here at home for 3 of my kids who have allergy related respiratory problems.  
Helpful - 0
Thanks - we have only used the nebulizer once, on Friday afternoon.  The nurse practioner said to use the nebulizer every four to six hrs as needed for coughing. The coughing has really been intermitent.  We're done with the steriod doses.  I really hope we're done with the worst of it!  Thanks for the note.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.