Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Decided to change my life style

Hello ladies!  Posted in here a few times here is a little background on my.  25 yo not trying to concieve yet but preparing for it.  I have been married for 1 1/2 years to my WONDERFUL SUPPORTIVE DH!  I am overweight about 50-60 lbs.  It was suggested not confirmed that I have PCOS (due to my weight).  I was given metformin (made me ill went off 4 days after I went on the pills.  I am on Birth control to regulate my periods until we decide we are ready to concieve.  We were just about ready and I lost my medical insurance and switched jobs.  Now that I am getting situated in my new job here in the next 6 months I should be getting some WONDERFUL medical coverage.  I want to have insurance before I get pregnant.  So in the mean time what do I do?  I am still overweight I am still on Birthcontrol.  I can go back on metformin for my pcos so when I do get pregnant I dont miscarry...and make myself sick in the mean time.  Or I can eat right and exercise and try to take on some weight they say 10% of you body weight will GREATLY help with PCOS.  So DH and talked about it and he is going to do it with me (he is in good shape but just for support)  Oh how I love him:-)  I wanted to see if anyone else would like to join me?  Or if anyone has tips? recipes?  gone through the same thing?  Do you think this is a good idea?  You ladies are the best and I value your opinion so anyones opinion would be appriciated;-)

Love jenelle
I am truly impressed by your choice. So often we choose to take the easy way out (i.e. taking the medication as opposed to making the lifestyle change), but you are truly doing what is in the best interest of your body and your future children.

I won't be able to join you since I am having a hard time eating anything (10 weeks pregnant and having serious nausea and food aversions), but I am very happy for your decision. It means the world to have a supportive husband ... just wait until you are pregnant; that support will be absolutely necessary. (My wonderful husband has to make all of my meals and constantly bring me food because I can barely stand most days!)

I think you are an inspiration! Best wishes to you.
Thank you hun.  I printed off your post so when I get down I can read it:-)  Congrats on being prego!  How wonderful.  You should start feeling better here soon ( I hope) :-)  Is this your first?
I agree...bravo on your decision!  It takes a lot of willpower to stick with a diet exercise program, but I think it's the right choice.  You'll also be thankful to have a lot of the weight off BEFORE you get pregnant and add even more pounds!  I lost about 30 pounds the year before I got pregnant, had kept most of it off, and was VERY thankful that I wasn't packing on pounds on top of the pounds I needed to lose during my pregnancy.  :)  You never know the great impact being in shape could have on your overall health in general...I think it's a positive decision and I wish you the best of luck!

Amy
I am also going to do the health kick....however I am not overweight but I have been reading things on the chinese meds and diet and how this can effect your body.....so, we can all do this together.... about 2 years ago I was 20 pounds overweight and I joined weight watchers and I LOVED IT!!! it taught me how to eat right and maintain my weight.... it was amazing and to this day I follow how to eat and what not to eat!!!  If you need some info on this I can provide it!!!  Good luck to us and healthy eating!!!!
I would love to join you. I am trying to lose 40-45 lbs before ttc again. This whole process has taken a toll on my these last couple of months, and I made a decision to lose my weight before I ttc again. With my DS, after giving birth to him I actually lost weight, but don't think I'll be so lucky this time.

I have joined Weight Watchers(x-mas present to myself) and my DH has decided that he wants to join this effort with me. We plan to walk thru our neighborhood every morning and eat better.

We have an anniversary trip planned to Turks and Caicos in May so I hope to have a good portion of my weight off by then. Never know I might concieve while there(the setting will be ideal for that):-)

Well please keep in touch and let me know how things are going. I do suggest Weight Watchers b/c everyone I know who has done it only has good things to say. Even if you don't want to go to mtgs they have it online with recipes, support gropus, and etc.

Well good luck to you and like I said, please stay in touch.

-Shawn from NC
Congrats on your new healthy lifestyle.  I highly recommend the book "You, on a Diet".  I will be forty on Jan 2 and so about 2 months ago I decided to get in shape.  The weight is coming off slowly and the inches are sliding off me.  This book is really practical, and it explains why we overeat.

Good luck.

P.S.  You may want to have a complete physical before you begin any weight loss program.

Ciel in Nova Scotia
losing weight is definitely a painless, easy and good-for-you thing to try first. i was @ 100lbs overweight, also semi-diagnosed with PCOS... took a year, lost the weight, kept it off a couple yrs, then got pregnant on the first attempt - basically as soon as my hormones re-regulated themselves. good luck!
I went on a diet in Febuary of last year lost 40 pounds by June and kept if off until I got pregnant and then i lost her on 12/14/06. It has only been 2 weeks since m/c. Doc said no excerise until 6 weeks post so, in 4 more weeks I will start the diet/healthy attack again. LOL< last year I went all out I started a High Protein diet and watched my carbs and drank lots of water and no soda's, kept my blood and etc monitored by doc and felt fantastic I went from a size 18 to a size 10. THAT was a big accomplishment for me! I gained 28 pds while pg and I am looking forward to shedding them. IN two weeks I weighed yesterday and I have lost 8 pounds(but been stress eating anything I could get my hands on). Then caught myself and was like OMG what are you doing, LOL. Last year I bought a treadmill, a gazelle, rowing machine, weight machine, stationary bike and etc LOL< my garage became my home gym. I started working out about 5 times a week, but with holidays and decoration here in good ole Alabama, (I work in a Florist) I was working 80 to 98 hours a week and my workouts came to a slight hault. I will be glad when i can get back into the excersie mode I think it is going to help with my stress and etc I feel at the moment. OH and I have never took birth control or tried methods to get pregnant, BUt I have always been a little over weight and I have a 12 yr old son Kaleb and little Emily that I just lost was first time I had gotten pregnant again in 12 yrs I think the weight loss and more energy I felt with being smaller helped tremendously!  GOOD LUCK to all of us that is going to be healthier and shed some pounds and inches in the New Year!!!!
Hello... you said you could help with making the right eating choices? That would be wonderful, especially since I have gestational diabetes...I know I should follow my dietician's plan for me, and I fully intend to, but I was overweight when I became pregnant, and this may be a good way for me to lose weight after the baby is born. The weird thing is, I'm only about 5foot2, weighed in at about 180-185 lbs., but you couldn't see most of it, and I didn't wear loose clothes...they say muscle weighs more than fat... but I could still stand to lose, especially after baby!!! Thanks So Much!!! ;-)