Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Did I test too early?

Im having an xray done next week and there is a chance I may be pregnant.  I had a blood test done today at the Dr.'s and it came out negative, but I am only 5 dpo, did I test too early, is this a reliable test result?  Should I retest and if so when should i retest with a urine test.  I dont want to take another test too early!
3 Responses
525485 tn?1314364901
5dpo is too early to detect. Implantation doenst normally occur until 7-10 dpo.
134578 tn?1546634665
When I was in fact pregnant with twins, I had a blood test at 13 dpo and it came out negative.  It can take that long for the embryo to implant and then the hCG to build up to a high enough level to detect.  If the xray is not in the reproductive region, just tell them there is a chance you might be pregnant and they will probably drape you with one of those lead aprons.
Be very vocal about your possible pregnancy with your docs and the x-ray tech.  With proper info they can drape you well if you are not having any pelvic, lumber or low therasic areas x-rayed.  But if there is any possibility to put it off untill you know for sure I would (and did myself).  I was in a similar predicament but they caught my pregnancy with a blood test at 2-3 weeks and we (me and doc) decided that the diagnosis could wait because it was fairly obvious that the injuries were not unstable fractures.  Remember that your babe is the most vulnerable to damage in the very being especially to radiation.  But I did have my neck done and there was little to absolutely no risk.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.