Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Dilation and Effacement Question

Alright so I think maybe I ama little confused or something but I went to the doctor yesterday and she said that I am 75% effaced and 1cm dilated, I am 36 weeks and she said she could also feel his head. What does all this mean this is my first and I just dont really know what to expect I also think I have already lost my mucus plug.
Okay... I believe (now it's been 13 years ago, but... You need to be 100% effaced.  I not sure if they necessary means you need to be 100% effaced before you can go into labor, but it does need to reach 100%.  However, you can be 1cm for another 2 more weeks.  I actually started contractions when I was 4cm, so it all depends on the person.  A sign of losing your plug is a good sign.  But you can't actually start pushing until you're 10cm dilated.  Feeling the head means that it is down in the birth canal.  Best of luck during delivery.
Wow it looks like you are in the start of Labor. Don't get too excited though, this part can last a long time! You do have to be 100% & 10cm to start pushing. Since this is your first it may take a while to get there. I went in to the hosp. at 6cm. at 7pm & did not deliver till the next day at 11am.
I was 80% effaced and dilated to 4 with one of my babies at 36 weeks and I still had to be induced at 40 weeks. It doesn't have to mean anything.
my baby dropped at 30 weeks and the doc could feel the head - she was worried I'd deliver prematurely, but now I'm a day shy of 37 weeks, 85% effaced and 1 cm dilated. My little peanut looks like he/she will make it full-term...some of my friends mentioned they dilated early and they ended up going past 40 weeks. so I guess it all varies. good luck!
i am 36 weeks and 3 days and i am 1 cm and 50 % effaced how long till i go in to labor this is my second child and the first was a c section emergency c section.
It means that your body is doing what its suppose to and starting to get ready for the big Day. Effacement means your softening. You have to be 100 effaced and 10 dilated to push out your baby. Your body is progressing. That is a great sign.