Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Does one light line on HPT mean positive or not?

Hi..I am pretty sure I am Pregnant (over a week late, felt like i did last pregnancy, tired, sore breasts, etc)..I am one of those ppl that takes a while for a HPT to show up positive. (last pregnancy, I was several weeks late, knew I was PG, and continued to get neg HPT.) I took a HPT last saturday, and there was a line, but it was very very VERY faint..I could barely see it. I figured since it was not as dark as the control line, that it was a BFN...I posted this and some of the ladies said That a very light line means a line and that means a BFP...Well I am now over a week late, and still getting a very very faint, barely see it line. What does this mean?? This is my first experience with reading lines..My first PG, I used the digital (maybe i should jut go out and get another digital) And does anyone know why it takes some women a long time to register a POS HPT, when they are indeed several weeks PG?? your thoughts are appreciated..thanks
I say a line is a line. It took 15 minutes for my first line to pop up and it was FAINT. I then took 3 more test over the next 2 days to be sure! I am now 15w6d! I suggest you go get a blood test for the quantitative HCG and stop wondering!!!! Congrats, girl! Keep us updated!
HI THERE. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HAVING THE NORMAL LINE YOU GET WITH PREGNANT OR NOT AND THEN A FAINT ONE? IF SO EVEN A FAINT, FAINT LINE STILL MEANS A POSITIVE.   SOME DOCTORS SAY ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE EARLY IN YOUR PREGNANCY.  YOUR HORMONE LEVELS ARE NOT AS HIGH AS THEY WOULD BE AFTER SEVERAL WEEKS OF BEING PREGNANT.  A DIGITAL READ OUT I THINK IS THE BEST ONE TO TAKE.   THEY SEEM TO BE MORE ACCURATE FOR SOME REASON.  I TOOK 3 OF THEM JUST TO MAKE SURE I AM PREGNANT BECAUSE A WEEK EARLIER IT SAID NEGATIVE.  WAS KIND OF WEIRD.
It depends on how sensitive the HPT is on when a positive result will come up.  A line is a line, whether it's faint or as dark as the control line.  With my dd and this pg they came up positive really dark and really fast.  Some women's hcG just takes longer to rise than others.  If you got two lines on the test then you're pg.  Go buy another test or a digital one.  It sounds to me like you got a BFP.  Congrats!  And good luck.  I can't believe you've waited this long to test again.  I'm a POAS aholic.  I test before af is even due!
I say a line is a line but I would go buy the digital.  no mistakes there.  It says pregnat or not pregnant.  No option for maybe.  good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
I would be a little bit hesitant if on Saturday there was a very faint line and now, 5 days later it is still barely visible, but a line is supposed to be a line. Maybe it's time to call the OB doc and ask for a quantitative hCG test. That way you will know what your levels are-no guessing. Good luck!
Like they all said.......a line is a line! :)
Yes, I meant there was a very dark line and a very very faint line. I guess the reason I have not kept testing is that it may not have sunk in yet..All these months of trying and you mean to tell me it may have actually worked this month..?!?! I aLmost can't believe it!?! Sounds way to easy, lol! I am just going to keep testing until there is no doubt..(I really don't have any doubt that I am, but the HPT'S just don't cooperate with me! I will be calling my midwife soon.. ~bops.
I told you if you could EASILY see the line (not having to go through contortions, using magnifying glasses, high powered lights, etc) that it was a positive, as long as it came up in the time period.

You can actually see the line in the strip where the reagent is, if you look hard enough.  

Again, if it's clearly visible, came up in the time alloted it is probably a positive.  Everyone here always says a line is a line, but sometimes it depends on what you have to do to see the line.  I would think it would get darker and easier to see after a few days had passed, and it sounds like yours hasn't?  

I think the digital sounds like a great idea.  
peeka- I know you said that earlier..I was still confused. Don't worry now, I know I am..I just got a really really dark line..BFP!! WOOOHOOOO! I just want to say that again..BFP!!! I can't believe it, it seems surreal!! Thank anyways ladies for listening..WOW, I am so excited!
Whooohooo!  Congrats!  
I got my first BFP at 11 DPO, and it was VERY faint! I didn't believe it at first because it was so faint ... I kept testing for the next couple of days and went to the doctor at 13 DPO to verify the BFP and was happy to hear all six tests I took were correct! ;0) I just wanted to tell you congratulations ... I am glad you got your dark BFP to verify!
CONGRATS!  Have a happy and healthy 9 months!
two lines= BFP.  congrats regardless of shade...  
Try using an ept.  That is a plus if + and a minus if -.  Or there is a new one out that says Pregnant or Not Pregnant.  I'm not sure if you used the same brand each time but you might switch just for the hey of it.  I used First Response and had a faint line one day and EPT and had a + the next.
I had done had 2 misscarriages and 2 full term babies.  So I know all the things of prenancy and misscarring.  But I had took a first response test and 1 line was real dark and the other was real light.  But I had a period right after I took it.  I know i am cause i got the prgo belly and my boobs are just now starting to hurt a little.  I've also been reading to see if you can have a period when first getting preg. and found out you can.  But I am also concerned about misscarring again.  If someone with a similar story or anyone who can give me advise could you please e-mail me at       ***@****  ?    I don't remember these web pages so please please e-mail me thank you and by the way my name is Samantha thankx much
I am 18 years old n wen i was 16 i found out that i had clymadhia an my doctor never told me until like 6 or 7 months later n if you look it up if a woman has that in her system for so long sometimes it can freeze your egg... n recently i have been trying to have a baby with my fiance, an wasn't successful but i got my period July 26. an which means i should of got it around august 26. it is now September 6th, an i took a pregnancy test last night an this morning an i had a dark line an a light line, last night the lighter line was lighter but when i took it this morning it was a little darker, i haven't got my period yet, an i've been having pains, frequent peeing an i been having nausea sometimes, like this morning my father made breakfast an when i looked at the food my stomach became sick. my mother said she noticed i have been glowing an i let her read the pregnancy test which was first response, an she said i was definitely pregnant its her mother instincts, but I'm still shaken cause i have been trying an now it wants to work.. if i am i guess u can call this baby a miracle!!!
CONGRATS GIRL!!  Long time no talk.  
I took a pregnancy test 3 days ago and both lines were dark...because in the past I have had 4 miscarriages I took another test yesterday and both lines were dark.  I just took one and one line was lighter than the other....does that mean I could be miscarrying, or could the fact I took this one at night effect the levels therefor effecting the darkness of the line? I have a Dr's appointment in a week (soonest they could get me in), should I worry about miscarriage or does the darkness of the line have nothing to do with anything? Does anyone know?
Thanks!
I actually disagree that a line is a line... I took several HPTs over a number of weeks that had faint lines but a HCG blood work test said otherwise... I would go and get a HCG to know for sure.