Echogenic Cardiac Focus and Subchorionic Hematoma

Has anyone else had this diagnoses? I am 15w 6ds and was told yesterday that my baby had a cardiac focus on it's heart. I was also told this could be related to Down's. I am 32 and healthy, have no history of DS in my family or my husbands and really no idea what would put us at risk at this point in my life. Has anyone else had this experience? I am reading a lot saying there is no need to worry but as any mother to be or mother knows that is not how it works.
In addition I was told i have a subchorionic hematoma, this a blood clot in the uterus that causes bleeding during pregnancy. This why I was having the US in the first place. I'm wondering if these 2 things could be related in any way.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there,
I had BOTH of those during my pregnancy!! At 11 weeks I had a major subchorionic hematoma (thought for sure I was miscarrying) and my baby also had the echogenic foci...he is now 3 1/2 months old and is the most normal healthy baby ever...and this is my 3rd. I worried and worried for months that he was Down's but would have greaciously accepted that. I was told (my dad is a radiologist) that EF is going "out of style" as a market for Down's as more normal kids have it than Down's kids...so my advice is to hang tight :0)
Helpful - 0
thank you. Did you have the recommended quad screen after the EF was found? I was told I could but EVERYONE I spoke to about it has had a false positive or was told they are at high risk and NONE of them have babies with Down's. I kind of feel like it's just more worrying about something that I can't control and will except if that is the case. I have another US on Tuesday, I figure if there is a serious concern then I will do the amnio.
Helpful - 0
You know, I did do the quad screen but did not do anything invasive like amnio. I just felt that we wouldn't terminate even if we had DS as I've known Downs kids. But I have to also tell you that I worried the WHOLE pregnancy about Downs. We would have been and felt blessed either way, but you know how it is; you want perfection. In retrospect, doing further testing would have calmed me, but I've also felt that so we test negative for Down's...there are a myriad of other ailments that we can't test for and we just take life one day at at ime and as it comes. There are never any guarantees and in the end you end up loving your child with your whole heart and soul anyways!
Let me know how your US went!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.