Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Elevated risk on triple screen test

I am nearly 17 wks pregnant and just received my triple screen results on Friday; my test came back with an elevated risk for trisomy 18; the number they gave me was 1 in 95. I am 31, healthy, no history of genetic issues in the famiy. My husband also has no history in his extended family and has two healthy boys already.

From what I understand trisomy 18 is very rare (1 in 6,000 births). I have several friends who had a positive elevated reading on the triple screen, and all went on to have healthy, normal babies. I have read that there is a high rate of false positive, and that even 1 in 95 means about a 1% chance of having the problem. Despite all this, I am freaking out. I simply cannot believe this is happening to me. I was so scared to take this test for this reason and wish I hadn't. My dr. didn't give me the option of not taking it. I've been sobbing since yesterday.

Thankfully, we have an appnt. on Monday at 9:00 am for a level 2 and maybe an amnio if necessary, so I don't have to wait long. Please offer positive words!

Thank you.

Dani

all 3 of my sisters pregnancies had the same test results, the first 2 she had amnio's and the third one she said forget it.. needless to say all 3 boys were perfectly healthy, so it is possible to get false positives. hopefully everything will work out for you too....i'll keep you in my thoughts......i'm sure everything will be okay
Thank you for your comment. It always helps to know that someone else has been through the same thing. This is my first pregnancy, so I have no comparison base, but I know several women (more than not) who had an "elevated risk" after the triple screen or quod, and all of their babies are healthy.
try not to worry. I think more women who have this test and get bad results go on to have healthy babies than have babies with problems. I know 2 women personally who had bad results and had healthy babies. I opted not to have test done with my last one. Even if it would had showed soemthing I would not had an abortion so I did not want to risk worrying for nothing. Good luck and my prayers are with you and your baby. Let us know how the results come out and welcome to the forum. Danielle
i am sure all will be fine.......try not to worry.
With my DS I also showed an elevated risk. He's now 7 and is fine !
Thanks, Danielle. I posted on this forum when I first found out I was pregnant and then didn't check in regularly. I am actually very angry with my dr. for putting me through this. He never gave me the option of NOT taking the test. I thought the blood work was to check for Rubella, HIV, and blood type; I didn't know they were going to do a triple screen. If I had, I would have declined to have it done, as I've heard SO many stories of false positives (if they can even be called that, as they don't tell you the defect is there, only that there is an elevated chance that it might be).

Indeed, when I first told one of my friends I was pregnant she told me not to take the test because she went through the agony of an elevated risk too and has a healthy baby boy.
Thanks, ladies. It's hard for me not to worry, but I know that the chances are excellent everything's fine.
Let us know how your appointment goes.:)
That is one of the reasons why a lot of women choose not to get tested. It is a lot of worry over probably nothing. You deal with whatever comes when it comes. I don't think there is a reason to be overly concerned right now. Let us know what happens!
I just had a healtly little girl. My levels were also elevated, but were elevated for spina bifida. I had to go to Dallas and have a level 2 ultrasound and nothing was wrong. The counselor also told me that these tests are prong to being false positive. I would not worry about it. Good look to you.
Thanks, Jamie, I like to hear these stories. We go in tomorrow, and thankfully don't have to drive to another city, just a hospital a few miles down the road. I am still anxious despite knowing everything, but I do feel better.
good luck dani, really at your age the tests are just done (in my jaded opinion) to keep money coming in for the medical profession, unfortunately the cost is very high for the patient in stress.  I am sure your ultrasound will be fine. When you get to my age then you can start to worry (though really the only thing i worry about is getting past first trimester).