Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Engorged

Hi ladies! I finally gave birth to my second daughter on Tuesday. Erika Ryan was born at 7:28 p.m. and was 7lb. 12oz. and 20.5" long. A big, healthy beautiful baby!!

I have a very difficult time breastfeeding, so I talked to my lactation consultant and I am pumping and using formula to supplement. However, I can't get anything from my left breast, and just a little bit from my right.

My breasts are SO sore and painful right now...I can barely even type this. How can I relieve this engorgement when nothing will come out! Help, this is SO painful!!
Try showering first or placing very warm washcloths on it first - that seems to help sometimes - just to get things going.  Engorgement sucks - but it'll get better soon - I promise!  Congrats on the beautiful baby!  Love her name!
What if I am unable to express this milk?? When will it dry up?? I tried the hot shower, pumping, nursing...nothing has worked. How long will this last if I cannot express it?
Beer is supposed to increase milk production. I don't think that's what you want right now.
It will be better soon. I always go through a day or 2 of terrible pain like you are describing. They are just swollen and it will get better. Keep trying to nurse if possible or at least pump as often as possible. I try to keep it going all the time during those few days. It will get easier. Keep taking hot showers too.
Get in a hot shower, and when you get really warm, try expressing some of the milk. This will soften them up, and lessen the pain. After that, try nursing Erika, or pumping a little. You will be able to get more milk out when they are less swollen. Try not to give up yet. The beginning is the hardest.
I had to wait maybe 4-5 days for milk to flow although it came in and I had torpedoes that hurt soooo bad.  Keep putting baby up to nurse every 2 hours ==this causes milk to flow sooner-- if you keep giving formula without suckling (don't know about with) you may not get the milk to let down. Mine survived, with some crying, on the early colostrum--then once it came down it came down. Mine was not latching on properly either and I needed lactation consultant to come train the baby (20 mins maybe) which helped then the breast know what to do. Stick with it, it's worth it.
Tea bags, cabbage, warm compress, hot showers.  Sounds like you need to get some of the milk out and then you should be able to pump.  When you get to full it does not allow preoper suction.  Have you tried to latch her on since your milk came in?  Alot of times babies will attach easier.
Everybody here has great ideas. Keep in touch with your lactaion cunsultant, they can be a huge help. Are you leaking from either one of the breast? Give it some time. The begining is always the hardest. Try nursing your baby on  the side that is the hardest first. Soon she will get the hang of it. Be careful, some babies will get nipple confusion and choose the bottle over you. Babies have to work harder sucking from the breast than they do the bottle. I wouldn't worry about loosing your milk right now. Just keep trying. I know being engorged hurts, but does the one side hurt differently than the other? You may have a clogged milk duct.
Good luck and congrats on your new baby!!
Cabbage dries is up, but it also relieves pain and will allow you to express some out.  If you can even get a little out it should help to be able to pump
Get in a hot bath and milk yourself.  I know that sounds gross, but just do it enough to relieve the pain.  Your breasts will adapt to the amount she drinks soon.  Right now they are on full blast.  Hang in there...it will get better overnight.