Fibroids and Vicodin

This is my 1st pregnancy and I'm 34 , I have very large fibroid all over, I have one that's sitting on my bladder and it's extremely painful, my Dr. prescribed me Vicodin 5mg twice every 6 hrs. Is this safe and will it harm my baby?  Please help
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Nyalgrl,

Call your pharmacist they are the best professional resource when it comes to meds and they effects on you and your baby.  Vicodine is very commonly prescribed to pregnant women, me included, but like any medication there is always a chance that it can be harmful.  I am a chronic pain patient and was involved in another auto accident the week I discovered my pregnancy.  My entire left side is plagued with nerve and soft tissue injuries and now I may have spinal injuries (not sure won't/can't do x-ray or mri).  I was stunned when my docs (all of them) pushed for me to use narcotics to relieve my pain.  What I was told is don't ever take more than instructed, 10/325  every 4 hours.  I never have taken that much or that frequently regardless of what any doc says I won't run the risk of me or baby becoming dependent and at that dose we both will.  I was told that, like AnnieBrooke said, they obviously cannot do a formal test panel on pregnant women so all they can go off of is the reports and feed back of patients prescribed/taking the drug while pregnant.  This is a very very old drug and has not shown in the past any indication it causes birth defects, low birth weight, pre labor, behavioral or developmental issues, respiratory problems, and/ or any short or long term problems.  Tylenol on the other hand I was told can be more dangerous than the narcotic if taken in higher doses for an extended period of time especially in the later term.  I am sure your doc weighed the risks I would just be careful how much and how often you take it due to dependence and risks of withdraws, which can be extremely damaging to you and your baby, and remember if it doesn't feel right to you and you can grin and bear the pain do so.  Your instincts are your best tool and less is always better.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you :) I'm 4 months.
Helpful - 0
Pregnancy Category C medicines, including Vicodin, are those whose dangers have not been studied enough to say for sure if they will harm a pregnancy.  The often seen statement is that a Category C med may be given to a pregnant woman if her healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the woman outweigh any possible risks to the unborn child.  How far pregnant are you?  If you are right at the end, it is possible that the doctor thinks there is not as much risk to the baby because it is already almost fully developed.  I would definitely ask how long the doctor thinks you will be on this regimen and at what point you should stop so the baby does not risk having to go through withdrawal.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.