Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
287827 tn?1357560483

Flying & traveling at 12 weeks pregnant.

Hello, my husband and I live in England and we are going back to the states to vist for 3 weeks.  We will be leaving on Nov. 19th and I will be 12w1d pregnant.  We have a 2 hour bus ride to london, then a 9 hour flight to the states, then a 45 minute flight to houston, then a weeks later we are driving 6 hours to Shreveport, then 2 weeks later do it all over again to come back to Englang so in all thats 20 hour plane ride, 12 hour car ride.  I was just wondering if it is ok to fly and travel at 12 weeks pregnant????  Any advise will help thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
162331 tn?1390018667
I took about a 4 hour flight in my 4 month with no problems.  I would suggest putting your feet up as much as possible, which is hard on a plane.  I never dealt with much swelling until that flight.  Keep Hydrated and close to the potty. Have fun!
Helpful - 0
194374 tn?1214476694
Hi i travelled at 13 weeks. My ob said it would be fine just stay hydrated and try if you can get up and move around every hour for about 10 minutes just to help with your circulation. I found with keeping hydrated i needed to get up every hour to use the ladies anyway lol....
Helpful - 0
287827 tn?1357560483
Thank you so much.  What confused me is my nurse told me she wouldn't advise me flying and my ob doctor said it would be ok and she gave me some stockings to wear for the plane ride.  So, I just needed some reasurrance from woman that done some travelling in their pregnancy.  Thank you all again...   =)
Helpful - 0
The ob said it was fine to travel anywere, anyway as long as I did not travel past 36 weeks.  She said anything past 36 weeks and I wouldn't be cutting it too close to my due date and she wants me to be where I can get to her if I need to.
Helpful - 0
Stay hydrated.  While travelling I would drink a bunch of water about 45 minutes before I would make it to a bathroom.  Also, even if you're done with your "morning sickness" it might strike on the airplane.  I had airplane sickness all three trimesters.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.