Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Flying with Injections and Meds/OPEN FORUM

hi everyone. i'm going to be flying to minneapolis over the weekend and was wondering if anyone has experienced (more recently especially) flying with injections (ivf related) and their meds (vitamins...). during my ivf class they said that i'll need to get a note from the dr. which i will be getting right before my flight - i have an appt. friday morning and heading straight to airport from there. i'm just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this - i don't want to put the injections in regular luggage b/c i'm nervous about it getting lost and then i'll be stuck without my meds. i don't have time to run around trying to get them again. i'm going to try calling airlines, but you know how it goes sometimes what they say on phone isn't always how in works in practice. please share any experiences or thoughts you may have on this.

thanks.

please use as open forum for any questions or comment if necessary.
I don't think you'll have a problem. My BIL never has a problem, he's a diabetic. I don't think they can do anything about it. It's you meds. Especially if you have a dr note.
I just flew recently under the new security rules of no liquids. I didn't need to take any medications with me so not sure. But I would say to definitely call the airlines, also check what they say on the website of the airline too. I had asked a lot of questions about flying while pregnant (31 weeks at the time) and they were very helpful. I flew American Airlines. I think you can take a certain amount of prescription drugs on with you, but definitely check on that. Just from my experience though, if you have to check things, sometimes the temperature can be more extreme down under in the checked baggage place of a plane. I took a very good moistuizer with me and just checked it in my bag, and when I got to my destination and opened it that night, it had seperated the oil and other stuff, really grose. Its basically ruined. So if you have a medication that is sensative to temperature, please make sure they know.  You should be fine though. It honestly depends more on which airports you are flying through in my experience, as to how strictly they follow all the rules.
My other advice about flying now is to remember they don't serve pretzels anymore on planes...at least domestic flights. They still serve water, juice pop, etc. So if you have medication that you take with food, and while your flying, make sure to bring a snack with you. You are allowed to bring food on the plane with you, just no liquids. I had a 3 hour flight right at lunch and did not eat before, it was aweful and I was running straight to McDonalds in the airport as soon as I got off the plane. ( They do have nuts and a few things you can BUY on the plane, but it costs and arm and a leg).
I HAVE NEVER FLOWN AND HOPE TO NEVER FLY...LOL SO I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I THOUGHT YOU COULD TAKE MEDS AS LONG AS THEY WERE IN YOUR NAME AND I THOUGHT THE NO LIQUIDS WERE JUST FOR CARRY ON'S.  I THOUGHT YOU COULD HAVE LIQUIDS IN YOUR LUGGAGE AS LONG AS IT ISN'T IN YOUR CARRY ON.  WHO KNOWS LIKE I SAID I HAVE NO IDEA BUT THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT I HEARD ON THE NEWS.
luv_babies: thanks for the response. i figured it would work out - i'm just worried, you know with all the restrictions and everything these days. you get one frustrated security guard and that's it :) i flew there a few weeks ago - after the whole thing in England - and my dh emptied my purse from all my lip glosses - i think i may have had over 10 - he lined them up and couldn't believe it - he just didn't get it. you guys get it, right? :) (ok, ok, i know it's a lot, but what can i say...i like lipgloss :))

jenny77: thanks for all the info. i hope it'll all work out. i shouldn't have to take any of the meds on the plane so it should be ok. but have no fear i'm queen of traveling with food. you know G-d Forbid i shouldn't have a snack on a 2 and a half hour flight :) but then of course i justify it with...what if we get delayed.... last time i flew (a few weeks ago) i made sure not to have any drinks or liquids with me, but once i got through security i bought myself a soda - i figured it's there shops and i went through security already. well about 2 seconds after i purchased the soda i hear over the loud speaker "due to security you will not be allowed to travel with any liquids so anyone who bought a $5.00 starbucks coffee please drink it or throw it out before boarding..." i tried to drink so fast before boarding and then had to throw the rest out -  i felt so bad for wasting, but that's what you get when you try to use your own logic :)
Tinad is absolutely correct.  You should have no problem as long as it is labeled with your name.

Wonder what it is about crappy airline food.  I love it, and can hardly wait for them to pass out the stupid boxes of food that I gladly pay $5 for.  

Anywhere else, and I'd throw it in the garbage.  There, I feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't get one.