Women's Health: Postpartum Community

GOT MILK?

Hey everyone! I have a question regarding my milk not drying up. I stopped pumping over a week ago and I still have milk in my breasts. I didn't tell you guys that shortly after Logan was born my dr. was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and closed his office for atleast the summer. I have been left feeling very alone. I haven't even had my post partum checkup yet. Will have it on the 22nd at almost 12 weeks post partum. But anyway, I have called the nurse at the new dr.'s office, but she doesn't seem very informative to me. She just said that everyone goes at a different pace and to wear a tight bra. Has anyone else taken this long to dry up? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a bit sore.
Thanks,
Debra
I am having the oppostie problem it seems I am drying up and I don't want to. My supply has been cut in half over the last 3 days.

Have you tired cabbage leaves I have heard they can help alot with drying you up.
Do you have milk there, or are you engorged?

I quit cold turkey and was engorged for about 4 days - with the last day being the very worst, then after that I still had milk but was not engorged.  It did take quite a while to fully dry up (maybe 2-3 weeks).  If you are not engorged then I don't think there's a big worry, you'll dry up eventually.  I actually went to a mommy's club meeting when my son was about 1 week old at the hosptial where I live.  There was a woman there with a son who was probably about 18 months old.  She said she still had milk and felt like she would have it forever.  From what I could gather she was going on like 4-6 months of no breastfeeding and she still had milk...
Oh, and one more thing........
I know that if a woman is not planning to breastfeed and you tell the nurses in the hospital right after birth, they can give you some kind of medicine that will make you dry up.  Maybe it'd be worth calling your family doctor - or a different ob/gyn - and inquire about taking some kind of medicine that will dry you up faster.
Tresa, I was wondering how you were doing. Nice to hear from you.

Iwantto,
I am not engorged, just have milk. Sounds like what you are describing. I never got engorged because my milk had depleted so much with the pumping. I have had terrible headaches for the past 3 days so I figured my hormones are changing. It's a relief to know that the milk still being there is normal. Thanks.
Hi...I too had to wait a LONG time for my milk to dry up..it was almost 6 months before it was gone completely..I also had to wait for my post partum check up..i had my son at the end of January 2003 and my Ob/GYN couldn't get me in for my post partum check up until april...he was gone on holidays or something...i had a c-section so I thought that he would have wanted to see me before then but I guess I was wrong..lol...
I'm going to go back on the pill and I think that will help dry me up.
Okay, good, as long as you are not in pain that is good.

I think it's just a waiting game at this point for you, good luck!
I am here lol. Did you see the pics on yesterday's open forum?
When I had my baby in April, they no longer give medicine to dry up the milk.  You just have to wait it out.  I breastfed for 2 weeks and pumped and dried up very easily with no pain.
I completely stopped breastfeeding/pumping 5 weeks ago. I still have milk, not much but its still there.
Tresa, no I didn't see them till now. How beautiful! Both of your girls! Your older one could be a model!

Thanks to all of you for your input. I thought milk dries up in 24-48 hours from when you stop. Boy was I wrong! I'm very relieved.
No- it can take a while to "dry up" I never breast fed and at 6 months post partum I would still "leak" every now and then
If you really had a big supply you may get engorged, but hopefully that wont happen.

Hi little Logan!