Women's Health: Postpartum Community

GOT MILK??

Good Friday everyone.  This kinda relates to dollchina's question in the earlier post but with a different approach.  I'm breastfeeding and pumping milk whenever I have the time.  How long can I keep the pumped milk in the fridge?  I also noticed that my milk production has reduced (I used to wake up with full breasts with milk wetting my bra and t-shirt but not anymore).  I have a three week old and she mostly breastfeeds but sometimes I give her the pumped milk.  Is it ok to pump milk irregularly or should I do it on a strict schedule?  She doesn't breastfeed every three hours.  She can go more than three hours but mostly it's 2 or 2 1/2 hours.  Thank you for your advice.
A little known secret is that there is a big difference in pumps. Some will simply empty a full breast, while others are better at helping you to keep up your supply or increasing it. When in doubt about your supply, nurse rather than pump.

Andi
Also if all else fails use your nose :)
I know all the bks say u can leave BM at room temp for hrs but just smell (if it's good u shouldn't be able to smell anything or it may be a little sweet, if it's ruined it'll smell sour just like cows milk:) I could only leave mine out for about 1.5hrs :) I never pumped on a strict sch. & had plenty of milk or if I ever had a day where I didn't have quite as much the next day I'd have even more.
don't put in the microwave bc this can get rid of the good stuff in BM :)
I haven't had my baby yet but I've been reading up on things. There are a couple highly rated books on Amazon for $10 or so, and I plan to order one.

I think the pump you're using, the frequency you're pumping, and what you eat can improve your milk production. I've read there are certain herbs you can eat to boost things, but the most common thing I've seen is that if you want to produce more milk, you have to pump more often.
I think 48 hours in the fridge.  6 months in a deep freeze.  you can store it in a regular fridge freezer as well but not as long as 6 months.
Not sure about your other question but looking forward to see some feedbacks as well.
after awhile your breasts just level out and aren't ENGORGED where there is SOOO much milk. So I wouldn't necessarily worry that your production has slowed way down or that you aren't making enough - it just levels off and you aren' uncomfortable, leaking, painful anymore...but the milk is still there.
The pump I bought says on the booklet that the milk is good at room temp for 4 hours, in a cooler with 3 frozen ice packs for 24 hours,in the fridge 5-7 days and then you can always freeze it and it lasts for 3-4 months (self contained frig freezer unit) and 6-12 months in the deep freezer. And you know if you thaw it you can only place it in the fridge for 24 hours and after that its no good. HTH!