Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Gestational Diabetes

My sister has been told she is borderline gestational diabetes. Has anyone had to go on the diet for it? She is going to do it since she hasn't been feeling well and is in hopes that changing her diet will help.Any info on nutrition would be appreciated! Thanks!
Unfortunately i dont have any breaking news for you but wen i read your post I was so overwhelmed at how supportive you seem towards your sister and trying to help her out with this.  I hope all goes well for her and no doubt wen this bubba arrives she will have one hell of a fantastic aunty!
Best wishes,

Trudy
hi ya i had gestational diabetes when i was pregnant with my last 2 kids and got it from about 6-7 months i was borderline and was told to change my diet and yes it did help so much i didnt feel fantastic as i was heavly pregnant but i noticed the difference so i think your sister should try to change her diet try not to eat any sugary things but have they warned your sister that having gestational diabetes in pregnancy gives her a higer risk of getting it later in life as i had it with my 2 last kids youngest being 3 1/2 years old i now have type 2 diabetes and am on tablets everyday so get her to read more information on this or speak to her doctor good luck in the pregnancy and hope changing her diet helps
p.s how far into the pregnancy is she as you dont normally develope gestational diabetes till late stages of it  if she is in earlie pregnancy then i would say she had the problem start before but has not shown up unitll now with all the blood test etc
I HAVE A QUICK ?.  I AM 31 WEEKS AND I HAVE HAD MY TEST FOR G-DIABETES.  CAME BACK FINE.  I HAVE ONLY GAINED 5LBS SO MY DOC WAS NOT WORRIED AT ALL ABOUT ME HAVING IT.  HOWEVER I AM A BIG GIRL TO BEGIN WITH.  I HAVE ON SWEET A DAY AND A GLASS OR TWO OF DECAF SWEET TEA.  ALL IN THE EVENING.  I DRINK BETWEEN 80-100oz OF WATER A DAY.  BUT LAST NIGHT I WAS SOOOOO THIRSTY.  I DRANK ALMOST THREE GLASSES OF TEA AND A HALF A GLASS OF WATER AFTER MY 100oz OF WATER DURING THE DAY.  THEN GOT UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND HAD TO HAVE A GLASS OF WATER.  I AM WORRIED WHY I WOULD BE SO THIRSTY.  THIS MORNING I FEEL PRETTY GOOD....BABY HASN'T MOVED WHICH IS ABNORMAL BUT I AM SURE SHE WILL SHORTLY.  ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA.  I AM SUCH A WORRY WART.
I know that being thirsty is a sign of diabetes, but if your test came back ok, then you're probably fine. did you eat anything particularly salty last night? mexican food, fried food, anything like that? i would just take note of when/how often it happens and tell your Dr. at your next appt. You're going every 2 weeks at this point, aren't you?
YEP....GOING NEXT FRIDAY.   NOT THIRSTY TODAY BUT WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES TONIGHT......I HAVE TO DO FIVE MASSAGES BACK TO BACK TODAY SO IT MIGHT BE THE SAME TONIGHT BUT WITH REASON!  thanks!
I had "mild glucose intolerance" with DD and I was told to change my diet. Sugar is my weakness so I wasn't surprised that I was told to change my diet. Plus, I put on far too much weight. Wishing your sis the best of luck for a healthy pregnancy.