Women's Health: Postpartum Community

HCG Question - please help

I have a family member who's LMP was on 9/28.  On 11/9 her HCG was 8441 (Progesterone 14.4) then on 11/13 HCG down to 8190 (Progesterone 11.0) they put her on Progesterone at this time and yesterday HCG was 8764 (Progesterone 15.8) (the baby also had a heartbeat yesterday during a transvaginal u/s)- Her numbers went up but are not doubling - she is spotting but the baby has a heartbeat.  I am sooooo confused.  I thought I knew all about this HCG stuff.  My doctor was wonderful - her doctor is an idiot and is not returning calls.  It is the office staff who give her the numbers.  

Does anyone know what this can mean?
once the hb is visible, hcg numbers aren't reliable. that's why my ob stops doing blood draws once we see the hb. So, so far she's doing well :)
Thanks I am just so confused why the numbers jumped?  This would not mean anything was wrong with the baby would it?