Had a baby 5weeks ago and had a positive test

Hi Ladies, its been a while since I have been here. I had my baby on 06/05/06 and unfortunately he died that night.  He was born healthy but well its a long story.... the nicu did something and we have an attorney.  Anyways, my question is we have been having unprotected sex since 3 days after having the baby. I took a pregnancy test last week and it was negative and then I took another one yesterday and there was a very very faint line and you can see it in the sunlight as well.  I took another today but didn't do it with first morning urine and it was negative.  I am going to try again tomorrow.  Has this ever happened to anyone and they got preggers? My dr told me it was impossible to get pregnant within the 6wks after giving birth.  I stopped bleeding 3wks after I had him for a week then I bled 2-3 days with a light period and now I have stopped bleeding completely.  Any suggestions would be great.  I know this sounds bad but I am hoping to be preggers.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It is possible. My friend had about 5 miscarriages. When she finally managed to get pregnant, she had a girl and nine months later, she had another girl. I am sorry for your loss to. I hope everything works out for you. I do agree with the post above about waiting and giving your body time to heal but if you are pregnant, then like I said before, I hope everything works out for you.
Helpful - 0
I have heard it could take up to 6 weeks for all traces of the HCG harmone to be clear of your system. I think you should talk to your DR. and see what they suggest....
Helpful - 0
hi, im sorry for ur loss, im not sure how long hcg stays in ur system after giving birth but im sure if u took a test a line came up (faint or not) u might be pregnant as long as it was in the alloted time plus i think ur more fertile after giving birth to for a while. take anothere test in a weeks time and c what happens - give the hcg time to bulid up and give u a accurate result.
good luck xx
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry for your loss.

You definately should not have been having sex immediately after the birth.  Your cervix is still quite open, you are bleeding, and the uterine surface is raw and open.  You would be quite susceptible to infection.  If you had a vag delivery, you risked tearing the swollen, fragile vaginal walls.  If you had a C/S, you will risk a pregnancy with a weak scar that is not at all healed.  
Most doctors realize you won't wait the full six weeks afterwards, and feel it's ok to have sex once the bleeding stops.  You would ovulate about 2-4 weeks after delivery, so it is possible to get pregnant before 6 weeks.  
You could have had some residual HCG in your system from your recent delivery.  You should follow your doctors advice about what to do from here.  

You've got to be one of the few people I've ever heard of who has sex that soon after a delivery, let alone after a tragic and very unexpected, devastating, horrifying loss.  It's important to do the work of grieving and resolving feelings of anger, despair, and sadness before jumping right back in.  You also need to heal physically or risk complications with the next delivery.  To each his own, I suppose.  My condolences.
Helpful - 0
I have known of many women who had babies only 10 months apart. It is not extremely common, but it is certainly NOT impossible like you Dr. said. Wishing the best for you.
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry for you loss, how terribly sad.

I think it's possible to get pregnant, but like whoisthis said, you should give your body a little time to heal.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.