Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Heavy First Period after Miscarriage

I was 11 weeks preg when I had a miscarriage at the beginning of Feb. They found out that I was expecting twins (no heart beat).  A DC was performed on 10th Feb and I started my period on 6th March (yesterday).  I am bleeding heavily (tiny clots) one pad lasts two hours and I am experiencing small cramping pains, is this normal?  It feels like I am miscarrying all over again and I am finding it really disturbing!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is normal for the first period after a miscarriage to be heavier that usual. If you start soaking more than a pad an hour, or have lightheadness, dizziness, or faintness, go to the doctor or ER. Take care, hope things start to lighten up soon. The first period is hard, it reminds you of the miscarriage. Take care. (((Hugs))) ~Kristen
My sis in law is still having really heavy periods since giving birth to a 12 week fetus at 14 weeks in November.  She is getting some blood work done to see if anything is wrong.  I really don't know what they are looking for but I hear that it is very common to have really heavy periods after a m/c.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I have had two m/c and still bleeding from my second three weeks ago.  It's all so very sad and unfair.  (((((HUGS)))))) to you.

steph
I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  I was 14 weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage in December of 2003.  My first period lasted about one day and it was gone.  However, the second one, which I am having now, has lasted a lot longer.  I went 5 days and stopped, and now I have started back again.  I have never bled this much in my life.  After seeing that I'm not the only one now, I feel much better. :)
I went to the Doctors and he said that it is fairly normal to bleed heavily on your first period because the uterus is getting back to normal.  Now I know why they tell you to wait until after your first period before you try to conceive again!
I have two beautiful sons ages 9yrs and 1 yr. We found out we were pregnant with #3 in May and at 9 weeks the ultra sound showed the fetus had stopped growing at about 5-6 weeks. I choose to use Cytotec and miscarried. It's been about a month and I got my period a week ago. The first few days it was light. Now on day 6 it is really heavy. I feel like I have been bleeding for a month and feel so drained. I'm cranky and very short with my husband to the point where we are barely speaking because I have been so "mean" as he says. Is this normal? Is or was anyone else like this. I'm totally okay with the miscarriage. I know there was just something wrong and that it's normal. So is it just my hormones? My husband and I rarely fight let alone not speak. We've always communicated very well. He says he wants his wife back. I don't think I'm being THAT different. Tonight is our anniversary and I don't even feel like going to dinner now. Please someone tell me this is normal and will pass.
I don't know it is normal but my husband says I have been mean and I have an attitude all the time so I think its normal or hormones are raging and or body is trying to regulate us which makes us short tempered.It will eventually get better.I miscarried at 6 weeks 7/28 and I just stopped bleeding two days ago THANK GOD. Looking forward to my period so we can try again that was my first pregnancy. Praying for a healthy one next time around.